Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting and stalling problem on TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, May 5, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i start my truck after it is cold and it will either dip down really low, or just stall right there and today after school i had two chicks in the truck because i was gunna drive them home, and i started the truck and it was gunna stall so i jammed on the gas, and after that it stayed running, so does anyone have a ideaa? your help is gretly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

have to note the chicks thing? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have been having the same problem on my carburated. Mine is just adjusted badly. I really don't know much about TBIs, all I can think is some type of idle set wrong, choke wrong(no idea what that is on TBI), or dirty fuel filter. Not getting enoguh fuel initially is that thought on the last one.

3. 87sm465np208

hmmmmmm, fuel filter, perhapes i will check that out, take it off and blow though it, see if that is clogged, if not im down to autozone and get one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

The idle air seloniod on these get carbon built up on the shaft and start sticking, and won't idle. You can usually remove it and clean with carb cleaner and reinstall. Also make sure the throttle plates and housing are clean of any carbon build up.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Just replace the fuel filter. Especially if you don't know when the last time it was replaced.
    I have a problem similar to yours; I replaced the TBI base gasket and it helped a little. I know I've got at least 2 vacuum leaks too, I just haven't gotten around to fixing them. Get a can of throttle body cleaner (I use the Valvoline stuff in the gold can; don't know if it's any different than Gumout or the others...) and spray the throttle blades and bores. Use a CLEAN rag that doesn't shed lint, and scrub the blades and bores; you'll feel a little "ridge" of carbon buildup where the blades touch the bores when shut. Spray the bores & blades down again after scrubbing, and you're on your way.

6. 87sm465np208

i know i changed the fuel filter about this time last year, so i think i will get one from my friend at carquest tomarow, why the hell not right, i mud the truck and take it in dusty conditions, so might as well change the fuel filter. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If all your fuel system checks out I'd check the port where the hose from the PCV valve hooks up. I've seen several in the shop over the years with a plugged PCV port that have funky idle characteristics that can be real fun to diagnose. May want to pull throttle body off intake and check gasket in that area (usually requires replacement of gasket) as the gasket will often times swell up in that area which doesn't help flow whatsoever.....Good luck.