Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting engine what to do and look for.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Apr 17, 2003.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

Ive been working on my 85 blazer for 2 years march and rebuilt the engine 1 year ago and put it in the truck i also had the 700r4 rebuilt the shop made it non lockup and put a 1800 t-converter .Ive put a 79 350 in place of the 305 and was wondering if theier is anything I should do before I start it up i put some oil in the spark plug holes.and am going to prime it.I need to know if I can just hook a drill up to a flat head for this.And should i change the timing to 8degrees or 4 that the emission sticker sais .it has a comp cam 260h in it a performer manifold and carb.
    Any info or ideas would be apritiated

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

If you put a new cam in hopefully you used assembly lube on the lobes. Yes prime the oil pump. Run the engine at about 2000 RPM, DO NOT LET IT IDLE! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

yeah make sure you hold 2000rpm for 20-30 minutes to let the cam develope a good wear pattern with the lifters, otherwise look for leaks, things getting really hot, keep an eye on the temp and oil preassure. shoudl be good to go.

-Scott