Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting First Project, Questions about droping xfer case.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA91Blazer, May 18, 2001.

1. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Hi All !

Finally I’m starting my first project on my ‘91 K5 Silverado. Here is the list of mods:

ORD – Shackle flip
    ORD – Heavy Duty front shackles
    ORD – Steering brace (bolt on)
    ORD – Grease-able bushing kit (full kit)
    ORD – Sway-bar disconnect kit
    ORD – Stainless break lines xtra long

Superlift - 6” front springs
    Superlift – front u-bolt kit
    Superlift – Rear 2” springs
    Procomp – Rear U-bolt kit
    Procomp – Steering arm

5 – 33x12.5 Mud terrain tiers (these are retreads, this is an experiment, they were $67 each with a 2 year 25000mile warranty, Ill let you all know how they do)

So I have my work cut out for me this weekend.

My question is about dropping the transfer case. I’ve heard all I have to do is move the spacers on the bolt. Can anyone elaborate with more details? The xfer case appears to be bolted to a cross-member/skid plate, where are the spacers?

Any other gotcha’s I should know about before I start?

Thanks for all your help, I would never have thought to do a project like this before I found this site and all the great people here!

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Go look at this pic .. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/photo/14207814/14299947XqwEmhOqiS>http://community.webshots.com/photo/14207814/14299947XqwEmhOqiS</A>

I've never done this before but by the looks of it you would take the nut loose, remove the spacer. lower the t-case, then place the spacer between the x-member and the frame, then put it all back together.

If I've got this wrong, someone please correct me.

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

3. LA91Blazer

Thanks Scooter, that picture really helped. I didnt know where the said spacer was untill you showed me. I'm gonna run out and look under my truck now.
    Many thanks.
    I'll post pics after I'm done
    :-)

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

my spacers were already moved on my truck when i bought it, but not in an effort to lower the transfer case. the frame was a little weak, so the bolts were moved to the outside holes with the spacers between the crossmember and the frame, so i fabbed 2 inch stainless steel spacers in place, much much stronger than stock, and worked like a charm. my driveshaft was binding up all the time on the highway before i did the switch, hasn't done it since.
    no longer do i have to explain the funny noises my truck makes when someone new jumps in. kinda nice.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey, don't know if this helps or hurts, I bought it this way: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com/tcasedrop.html>http://k5.8m.com/tcasedrop.html</A>.
    That picture is different than scooter's. Are mine done wrong?
    $67 each for the 33's?!? Where'd you get them? 18-wheelers use retreads a lot, right?

I changed the link, should be ok now!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 05/18/01 09:36 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

it gave me a forbiden error message when trying to view the pic

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just copy the addy and paste it into the File/Open dialog or into that addy window at the top on IE. The problem is that site prohibits pulling images from other sites...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. BadDog

newyorkin, looks to me like your case has already been dropped. That's the only diff I saw...

Bad Dog

9. LA91Blazer

Just checked my rig, Mine is totaly different from thoes pictured. maybe they changed it in '91. My xfer case seems to attach directly to the tranny. I dont have the bolts pictured in either picture.
    Any advice?

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Are you sure? Check it again in daylight, maybe you're missing something. You have to basically tilt the engine/tranny/tcase all together, and that's done by lowering the cross member the tranny mounts on, maybe more.

So I guess mine is done right? Is Scooter's picture of before or after the drop? How much lift requires a drop?

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

11. BadDog

Anything over 4" usually does and some people need to do it with a 4". Yes, the tcase is almost always bolted hard to the tranny (except for the relatively rare divorced cases). What you want to do is drop the x-member down by putting the spacers between the x-member and the frame. Look at the two pictures above and you will see what I mean. Newyorkin's has been dropped, the other has not...

Bad Dog

12. LA91Blazer

So looking closely, the cross member has no spacers, just bolts directly to the frase.
    Any ideas?

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Ok Scooter's is before... and the other one is after. Look at the bolts and the spacer in relation to the crossmember. This is one thing that sounds like it will take some tinkering.... as well as driveshafts...every truck seems to be a bit different. After reading about Shawn's and some other rigs w/ a 6" experiencing driveline vibes I was figuring of going w/ a CV shaft... but after going to a local shop and BS'ing I found that it seemed everyone experiencing vibes had the shackle flip... kinda interesting... but the local guy has an 86 w/ 8" of lift and a BBC and he dropped his tcase 2" and still has regular driveshafts w/ no problems... Keep in mind that lowering the tcase will ease the rear driveline angle and hinder the front shaft angle. Also note from what I hear Superlifts have a shim in the front already incorporated into the spring so you will need to get a full alignment done after the lift. My 6" kit came w/ seperate shims and I have been told by Glen at BDS not to run them if I don't have to. I figure anyway I go I'm gonna probably end up having this thing together and apart a few time before I figure out what will work the best. Just some more fun stuff to chew on wolf.... good luck... Just waiting for wheels to come for mine and then she's gonna grow [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

14. LA91Blazer

Thanks for all the great info!
    Looks like I'll need to fab the spacers myself, for some reason they are not on my truck, and I have shorter bolts. Well the shackle flip is the project for today (Sat), I'll let you know how it went tonight.

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

15. LA91Blazer

Here is the link for the retreads. they have lots of government info on retreads here too.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/>http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/</A>

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Just a quick time saver, I don't know what you have to remove the spring bolts but I used a sawsall on the ones that wouldn't come a part and wasted a lot of money on metal blades until I used the Lenox blades with the grit edge (not teeth) and they cut right thru. If I was doing it over, I wouldn't even waste my time trying to undo them, just cut them all off. Hope this is a help. Good luck, you will LOVE the difference.

[​IMG]

17. LA91Blazer

Does Home Depot carry thoes blades? If not where did you get them? Will they work on a Super Sawsall?

Thanks

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

18. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

My spacers were on top of the frame.. up in the frame rail.
    I added a 4 inch suspension lift and I HAD to lower my T-case. Too many vibrations.. once I lowered it.. no more vibes. !!!!
    So check up top of the frame for the spacers.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

19. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Hi all,
    this tread really came in handy. I'm currently on holidays for a week with nothing others on schedule than working on the truck (... you know like heaven feels ...?). One of my tasks is to lower the tranny (Yessir, truck raised & vibrations).
    What i found on my truck is a brake cable going across very near to the xfer case. So by lowering as shown here, this cable would be pressed down by the xfer case what might not be very healthy although it's only for the parking brake.
    Has anyone experienced that too? And if yes, how to solve it?
    Thank You in advance for Your help!
    CU
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://projectmule.coloradok5.com>http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</A></font color=blue>