Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting fluid now what?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Nov 13, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I tried starting fluid and straight gas into the carb in y truck it still wont start any suggestions???

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If it isn't firing even after you squirt starting fluid down the intake, then you have no spark. That stuff is VERY easy to light off.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. JimmyJuneau

so what do I need to fix then

1985 GMC JIMMY

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Check your distributor. Is it connected properly? Maybe the module went bad. If you're using an external coil, check the wire that goes to the distributor. Also check the spark plugs and wires. You can remove a spark plug, ground it, and have someone crank it while you see if there is any spark at all.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Hi, I replied to your original post a few days back
    First, I had a problem the same as yours, Truck running fine, next morning wouldn't start. I took the dist cap indoors, dried it, and put the hairdryer on it for a few secs, put it back in and it ran fine.
    Also, a month later went out another morning, no start, traced it back to the ECM (electronic Control Module) in the dist, went to Schucks in Anchorage and picked one up. It's dead easy to fit. You have to use a di-electic glue/paste to spread on the bottom of the module before putting it in place. Most Schucks have a facility to test the ecm, that might be worth a try, as its dead easy to remove and refit.

6. JimmyJuneau

Ok I took the dist cap off and it was dry anyother suggestions? I cleaned it out anyway I also changed the spark plugs out.

1985 GMC JIMMY

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Check the rotor also. We just had a car towed in because the little tab on the rotor broke off and it quit spinning.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Change your ignition module...as long as you confirm you've got +12v to the distributor and the pickup coil wire isn't broken under the rotor.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Instead of just going out and changing the module, most parts stores will test it for free to see if that's where your problem lies.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

10. JimmyJuneau

Ok forget about that last message my buddy told me he cleaned the dist cap but he didnt tell me it was fried and the rotor was shot I took a look at it and the metal peice on the rotor that makes contact with the cap was missing (torn off). I bought a new cap and rotor. but the truck still wont start do I need to replace the crap I cant think of the name of it but it is insdie the cap.

1985 GMC JIMMY

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

What exactly do you mean by "inside the cap"? As far as I know, there's nothing inside the cap........unless you're talking abou the ignition module, which is kinda "inside" the cap.

If so, take a look at the posts above.......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

12. JimmyJuneau

Ok sorry about that brain freeze earlier it is on the top of the cap it is the coil. I took out a spark plug and set it on the frame turned out the light but didnt see aa spark so Ill try it tommorow when I have another hand.

1985 GMC JIMMY

13. JimmyJuneau

How do you know when you need to replace the coil in the dist cap?

1985 GMC JIMMY