Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting Fluids (ether)

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by dhdescender, Nov 11, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I know you arnt supposed to use any starting fluids on diesels with glow plugs or preheated manifolds but it seems to be the only way to start my truck even if it is plugged in. What are the reasons why I shouldnt and are there any long term effects of it? I am going to find a new starter soon and replace the glow plugs along with new batterys but until then can I keep using it?

Jordan

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If your truck still runs and you've been using ether to start it it means you've LUCKED OUT BIG TIME!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If your glow plugs were operational you would have blown your engine to bits in short order....

It sounds to me like either all your glow plugs are shot or your GP controller is done. When you turn the key does the GP light in your instrument panel light up? Do you hear a subtle "tock" kind of sound? I'm willing to bet that your controller isn't working correctly and that is the source of your problem, brother.

You have two options: replace the glow plug controller or go to a manual switch-style GP setup. I've never had any controller issues myself so I can't tell you how to troubleshoot it. Sorry....

3. dhdescender

Yikes, thanks for the warning. I have a manual controler and the light in the dash come on along with the tick. Ill stop using it now. So then the next idea would be glow plugs then. Ill try and figure that out.

Thanks Jordan

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Get the AC 60G glow plugs.

I have a set of those and before I swapped starters out I'd let em glow for 12 to 14 seconds when it was really cold.

When it's around freezing make sure to have the throttle near the floor when you start it as well...that will help.

Good cranking speed is a must though, so make sure the batteries and starter are in good shape. If you have functional glow plugs, good batteries and good cranking speed and it still isn't starting relatively easy then you could have a fuel problem like a pinhole leak somewhere.

Rene

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

as noted Either is VERY DANGEROUS
    how ever wd40 is Very freindly :-)
    yep good ol WD 40 is to Diesel motors what Either is to gas motors
    P.S. grab your test light and hook the 1 end to the + battery terminal and then go touch the tip of each of the glow plug ends were they plug into
    light on = goood glow plug
    no light = bad glow plug

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

This thread applies very much to me as well. (I apologize for hyjacking.) I just bought an 84 K5 and this is the same problem. So, am I correct in doing the following to fix the problem of starting:

- replace GPs
    - replace GP controller (is the the same as the relay)

After replacing both if these, this vehicle should start properly?

Thanks.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, you need to check and see if those components are bad first. I just hate seeing people just start replacing parts until they find the one that is bad. A service manual, a test light, and about 10 minutes can tell you what part is bad...........

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I found out from previous owner that the GPs were replaced faily recently. Never started in CO without SF. I'll try to check the controller; however. a buddy has a brand new one I can have for have the Checker Auto price.

9. dhdescender

well I figured out what the problem was, I took your advice and actuly went out and tested the glow plugs and it turns out only one was operational /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif So I guess Ill replace all of them, which brands of plugs do you suggest? With a manual controller, I never went more then 8 seconds on them what does everyone here recomend. On a plus side I wired up my winch /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jordan

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well I figured out what the problem was, I took your advice and actuly went out and tested the glow plugs and it turns out only one was operational /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif So I guess Ill replace all of them, which brands of plugs do you suggest? With a manual controller, I never went more then 8 seconds on them what does everyone here recomend. On a plus side I wired up my winch /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jordan

[/ QUOTE ]

One reply:
    get the G60's AC delco

11. tRustyK5

That's what I got...and before replacing my starter I frequently let em glow for 12-15 seconds without any trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I paid $130 or so for a set (cdn $$) or roughly $12 US each.

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That's what I got...and before replacing my starter I frequently let em glow for 12-15 seconds without any trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I paid $130 or so for a set (cdn $$) or roughly $12 US each.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are more like $9 here in the states. each /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dhdescender

Where at Rene? The best I can find for those is $20 Ill take a look at a few more places.

Also, I have been reading around in my haynes diesel manual and it shows that there are 2 different types of glow plugs 12 volt slow and 6 volt fast and it seems to change in the 84 and newer vehicles. I have an 85 motor in an 83 truck? could this have been the problem why my glow plugs burnt out so fast? Would the manual controller taken care of this? And if I buy new ones do I buy them for the 85 truck motor or the 83 blazer wiring? or am I completley wrong? Thanks for all the help, id be lost otherwise.

Lastly, can I use ether to start without cycling the glow plugs? Just until I can afford new ones?

Jordan

14. tRustyK5

I got mine at Lordco and used the discount we get through the 4WDABC.

I didn't realize there was a 6 volt fast glow, shows how much I know.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'd take a voltmeter and see what kind of voltage you get at the GP plugs.

As for the Ether, I still wouldn't use it. Probably best to keep it plugged in when not running and use some WD40 instead. I sure wouldn't do that for any length of time though.

If any of this advice is not correct i hope someone corrects me, I'm still a diesel noob in a lot of ways.

I have an 85 motor but swapped the 83 controller and relay because that's the only complete system we had to work with. I then converted to manual control. I am pretty sure it's 12 volt.

Rene

15. dhdescender

I might be wrong the book is fairly confusing because it covers 5.7, 6.2 and 6.5 all years in one section so its hard to decipher the information. It also says I should have 100rpm turning it over and I have no wheres near that so Ill have to look into that too.

Jordan

16. tRustyK5

I thought I read that the minimum cranking speed should be around 200 rpm. My new starter exceeds that easily, the old one definitely did not. The biggest difference in starting ease came after the new starter...

Ask for continous duty GP's, and mention the AC 60G's specifically.

Rene