Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting issues with a 2000 ZR2 Blazer, turns over but doesn't fire

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by jjlaughner, Mar 18, 2006.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

NEW UPDATE AT BOTTOM!

I have a 2000 ZR2 thats I've been using at my DD for a little over a year. Put almost 30K miles on it in 15-16months. Only think I've had to do so far was an alternator. Now I'm having starting issues. One day you go out and its start, next do no, later that day it starts, hour later no. The most recent time I couldn't hear the fuel pump kick on, but my dad came down and he popped the coil wire off and back on and it fired right up (he has a knack for finding that one wire). Well it done the same no starting thing tonight. Ran great all day, couple trips here and there, took off for the store no biggie, come out of the store and it wont start. It turns over fine but just has no fire. I wiggled the wires, no go. Pulled the wire off and routed it differently, no go. Turned the key on listened for the pump, didn't hear anything (mind you last time I didn't hear a pump and it started :dunno: )

So far I've heard cap and rotor and or the fuel pump, anyone have anymore ideas?

Thanks
    Jeremiah
    jjlaughner
    the diamond plate photo whore - I've been on vacation for a while though...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like a fuel pressure issue, IIRC it needs 60 psi to start and 45 psi to run. it may not be getting the 60 psi to start some times, but will hold 45 to run.

fuel pumps for that cost too much to just try it, but i would check the pressure next time it won't start. there should be a shrader valve on it somewhere, ill have to look at my sisters 01 to see if i can find it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

No spark is typically caused by a bad ignition module in the distributor.

4. jjlaughner

yeah no spark at the plug replaced the cap and rotor today, got spark but still no go, no hum from the tank for the fuel pump. Banged around on the tank thinking the pump was stuck somehow, used a pin to bleed pressure off the line, turned the key on, air came out for a couple seconds then fuel, then the truck fired right up. Truck has done this twice first time 3/4 tank and last night 1/4 tank, how could air be getting into the fuel lines and could that be the issue? When I get back home I'm going to swap out the fuel filter and put a guage on the fuel lines and check the pressure. Next step will be voltage meter from the front to the back and then maybe a pump. Yeah the trucks got 125,000 miles on it but those pumps are $300!

anymore ideas?
    I know about the 60psi being good, under 50 at startup is bad, I didn't know the 45PSI running.

Anyone know how to reset the pumps on these, like an emergey reset? Do these have a cut off for accidents thats kills the pump? How do you reset that? I heard you put the accelerator to the floor, turn the key to on, wait 15 seconds and then bump the ingnition, release the key then the pedal and turn it over to start... Anyone else? :ears: How about a button or something a little more tangable?

thanks guys!

5. jjlaughner

The valve on mine is on the right side, on the fuel rail behind the throttle body.

6. jjlaughner

OK, swapped out the fuel pump this weekend, truck started up and ran, drove it around a little bit.
    Next morning go out and it starts for about 2 seconds then sputters out and dies. No starting again.
    Checked spark seems a little weak (mind you I've already swapped out the cap and rotor a couple weeks ago). Pull it back apart, put in a new pickup module. Put everything back together. Turn the key no start! :mad: So we check the spark and its a little better but not much, should still start... but its not starting...

So what's next?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

turn the key on. if the pump is running, tap the schrader valve. should squirt a bit of fuel. Now stop, walk away for a bit, hit the schrader again. Should be pressure as well. If there is no pressure, its not holding pressure properly. I'm thinking more like sticky pressure regulator. Sticking in the low pressure position.

8. jjlaughner

right now there is no fuel coming out! :doah:

9. jjlaughner

I don't want to sound off too soon but this last time looks to be a line in the tank popped off the fuel pump. We could hear fuel splashing around in the tank but non coming out of the fuel filter when I unhooked the line. The rebuild kit did not mention using hose clamps, the factory line was not clamped. Hopefully the new fuel pump, filter, and now the new clamps workout!