Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Dec 8, 2005.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Ok guys Im stumped.. my truck has been acting up when it comes time to start.. once in awhile it would take 10-20 turns of the key to get the thing to TRY to turn over. I figured the starter was going to hell since the battery is strong and it just "clicks" when I turn the key. Well I JUST replaced the starter and its still doing the same thing but it wont turn over. Any ideas? Im a chevy man but this thing has been making me rethink my views. Thanks :crazy:

2. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Voltage drop between the battery and the starter?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try this...

If you can,try jumping it at the solenoid with a screwdriver --touch the thick purple wire to the battery cable (its a *&^^ to get at,I know!)..if it cranks over fine then,its probably low voltage at the purple wire not activating the solenoid sufficiently..if it still clicks,its probably gangrene battery cables,or connections at the battery terminals,or bad grounds..see that it has a ground strap from the valve cover to the firewall,and one from the battery - post to the radiator support..they often corrode,or are missing entirely..:crazy:

4. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot guys I got it going.....ohhhhh how the simple things can go so so wrong

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Let me guess...

Was it the one thing I forgot to mention??--Neutral Safety Switch??:doah: ..

I let a girl borrow my 75 K5 I had once..she calls me up crying 15 minutes later "It wont start,I think the battery's dead"...so I drive 15 miles to where she's "broken down" I get in, PUSH IN THE CLUTCH, and it fires right up!:mad: ..

..I had showed her 15 minutes before how the clutch pedal HAS to be pushed to the floor to start it..:rolleyes: ..DUHHH!..:p: ..I had to pull the plug on the safety switch and jump it with a cotter pin,I figured every time she drove it I'd have to remind her about the clutch pedal..:doah: I'm suprised she could even drive a manual transmission vehicle!..:crazy: