Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting My Build-up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jboyes, Jul 5, 2005.

1. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Getting ready to put 14b sf and 3/4 ton 10b in. My gears, 4:56's and Detroit for the rear, and Auburn Posi for the front, came in late last week and my tires, 15x38.5x16.5 Boggers are in my garage. Just waiting on my brother (my mechanic) to rebuild the axles this weekend. Installed 3 inch body lift to go along with my 4 inch suspension. I think I will still need to do some trimming but that is ok with me. Just took my bumpers off tonight and after installing everything I am going to have one of my buddies construct some new bumpers. I have a few questions for you guys though. First, are the 10b 1/2 ton front end and the 3/4 ton 10b the same dimensions? Can I use the brake calipers from the 1/2 ton on the 3/4 ton? I measured the rotors and calipers and they seem to me to be the same size, so I would think they would work. Also, what material would you use to make the bumpers? Should I have him bolt and weld some tow hooks on, or what would you suggest for something sturdy to hook a strap to when I get stuck? And last any ideas you guys could give me would be appreciated as this is the first build that I have been involved in. Sorry this was so long and thanks for your help. These are some pics of before starting this project and where I am at now.

1. Before - 4 inch lift with 35's
    2. Getting ready to install body lift
    3. My buddy and I installing lift
    4. My little helper and I taking bumpers off
    5. Last pic of the night with bumpers off and body lift installed

DSC00608.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 038.jpg

Picture3 005.jpg

Picture3 031.jpg

2. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

C'mon guys, can anyone answer my questions?

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sorry as my answers are not great.. however some ideas how you can try to figure some out as this is how I would do it...
    good luck
    Jeff

I dont know however a tape measure would definitely tell ya...

Only way to tell is to try... or better yet.. goto autozone.com and try ordering parts for a 1/2 ton then a 3/4 ton... if p/n is the same... yes they will work

Ditto as above

Depends.. are you going to put a winch in there... do you want it to pertrude?
    I am going to put a mile marker hydraulic winch (in the future) behind my front smittybuilt double tube bumper and put the roller fairlead into the bumper... and hopefully this friday going to order a Ramsey Patriot 15k to put under my bed and out through the double tube rear bumper.. with roller fairlead built into the bumper...

well I have NICE front tow hooks.. cant find them anywhere.. 1979 stock 3/4 ton tow hooks... missed a set on ebay for $1 few months back :doah:

im going to put a receiver in the back... and you could put a receiver in the front... great tow point or portable winch spot... front or back.... :wink1:

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok i think i can read it now

First, are the 10b 1/2 ton front end and the 3/4 ton 10b the same
    dimensions? --- THE ONLY THING DIFERNT IS THE OUTERS

Can I use the brake calipers from the 1/2 ton on the 3/4 ton? -- THE CALIPERS ARE THE SAME BUT THAT IS IT

I measured the rotors and calipers and they seem to me to be the same size, so I would think they would work. THE ROTERS AND BACKING PLATE ARE DIFFERENT

Also, what material would you use to make the bumpers? I LIKE STEEL LOOK ON THIS SITE YOU WILL GET A TON OF GOOD IDEAS :D

Should I have him bolt and weld some tow hooks on, or what would you suggest for something sturdy to hook a strap to when I get stuck?

5. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Thanks for answering my questions guys. I want to have everything there and waiting when he starts so there is no downtime to run to the parts store, that is why I was asking about the calipers, dimensions, etc... I did get the tape measure out before I posted the first message. I just wanted to make sure that my measurments were correct, that's why I was asking.

I think I will put a receiver in the front, already have one for the rear. Then when I get a winch I'll just set it up to use front and back.

6. RootBreaker

:haha: Yer funny.... expect downtime..messin with ya.. but if murphy is not on vacation expect company. Also if Murphy never visits me I always wonder what went wrong, what did I put on backwards, what can I expect to re-do... and ALWAYS holds true... bust my hands open, cant get bolts off, lost parts, incorrect parts..... GOOD DAY THEN!!!! [/quote]

they are heavy but I know someone that has a 9k... REALLY HEAVY!!!!! plus sticks WAYYY OUT :doah:

7. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

I know, there is always something that goes wrong. I'm just hoping this one time that everything will go perfect (yeah right). Blazer has been down about 2 months now, and now that I have all the parts to get it back going I want it to be done RIGHT NOW. But I am at the mercy of my brother since I have no tools or idea of how to put everything together, and he is not a highly motivated individual when it comes to stuff for me.

8. RootBreaker

such a pitty.. all it takes is beer and im there...my bros know that as they are drinkers too...

hell we put my motor in on a 30 pack of mgd!!!!

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

1/2 ton 10B's and 3/4 10B's should be the same and share the same calipers. But the caliper brackets and rotors are different..

As for the bumpers, depends on what style you are goign for. BUt definately use steel. If it is a boxy type bumper, go with 3/16" to 1/4" thick material... If tube(HREW or DOM) go with 1.5" to 2" with a wall thickness of .125" or larger....

As for the tow hooks, definately get some welded in the bumper as they should be stronger than bolt on units.

As far as ideas. Looks like you're on the right track.... Depending on what type of wheeling you do and what tranny you have, you may wanna go with 4.88 gears instead of the 4.56's... But that just a personal preferrence...

:thumb:

10. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

I have offered alcoholic beverages and even told him I will put the axles back under the :k5: myself still not too motivated.

It's a sad day when an individual can't get motivated to drink beer and work on a 4x4.

11. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Thought about 4:88's but I am going from 3:08's running 35 inch tires to 4:56's with 38.5 so I figure there should be a noticeable improvement.

All we really have around here is deep mud and a few trails/hills no rocks.

Being able to swap the calipers is good (save some money there)

What about the tie rod? Will it work on the 3/4? Didn't think to ask earlier and I am at work so I do not have my tape measure or my truck nearby to check for myself.

12. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

when you take off the calipers to swapem look at the under side with the bleeder there might be a a little hump that wont allow the caliper to seat right in the backing plate. you will have to grind that off or buy new calipers. the rotors and backing plates are slightly larger. if the wheels you plan i running have more then i think it is 2.5" of back spacing you will have to grind that caliper and backing plate. hammer helps too.

13. jboyes

jboyes 1/2 ton status

Great, thanks for the heads-up.