Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting my M1008 - Update need help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BARRAZA, Sep 25, 2002.

1. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

I bought a m1008 a couple months back for the drivetrain, but its really not in too bad of condition so I am trying to start it. It was missing an injector pump, I've got another one installed but I am not sure its good. The glow plugs all test ok, but I dont see anything in the service manual about testing the pump or injectors, should I just hook everything up and wing it? Does diesel fuel go bad? I know it hasn't run in at least a couple years, should I drain the tank and put in fresh fuel? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tried the following but it still didnt start:
    Drained old fuel and added new.
    Removed glow plugs and cranked till it had fuel at the filter, then hooked line to pump and cranked until fuel came out at injector end of fuel lines. Hooked lines to injectors and installed glow plugs - wouldnt fire. Decided to try everything again, but now I have one glow plug that wont come out of the head. Replaced the other seven with 60g's - still doesnt start. Glow plug solenoid and the fuel solenoid are cycling. If I get it started can I disconnect power and just leave the mushroomed glow plug in? Is there any way to get it out without pulling the head? How big is it? Maybe through the injector hole?
    It is timed the way the book says, housing mark aligned with front cover and pin on pump through hole in driven gear. I have another complete set of injectors(but don't know whether they are good) that I am going to try when I pick up the right size socket. Anybody have any suggestions?

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Re: Starting my M1008

Whats it doing? Is it turning over, fuel to injectors and I would use new fuel.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ya I would just "wing-it" diesels are pretty good about starting after sitting for long periods. Ya diesel fuel can go bad but if it's less than half a tank, I'ld just top off with another 10 gallons of fresh fuel and some standyne fuel additive. If you glowplugs cycle and the fuel solenoid works, it should start. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I would also recommend swapping out your fuel filter(s) after a couple of fills. By then any old junk that was left in the tank will be trapped in the filters......

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Please see update above

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As far as I know, the only way to take out a mushroomed glow plug is by taking off the head, but for your problem starting the engine, I would suggest first that you check the compression on your engine, take off the injectors and check each cylinder, I can't remember what a good number would be but I will check it and get back to you tomorrow.
    If you don't have good pressure then you would have the excuse to take off the heads and maybe rering the pistons and check the valves or reseat them.
    If you do have good compression, then we'll look into some other things.
    IceMan

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is another solution to the mushroomed glow plug. Its called a Glow plug remover tool. You put in on like a nut and turn it and it slowly pulls it out. I got mine from Harbor Freight. I think you can get them from Snap on and www.ontool.com Part number OTC-6005. http://www.otctools.com/brochures/218-1.pdf page 6 shows how it works. It worked really good on mine till it was dropped. Not cheap, but who wants to pull heads!!

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Are you 180 off when you put the injector pump on?

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hold on, lets try from the begining. Are you getting smoke out the exhaust when you crank it over? No smoke, no fuel. Open the bleeder valve on the top of the fuel filter and crank it, fuel should dump out the port. If you're getting fuel to the filter but no smoke from the exhaust your fuel soleniod isn't being energized. Check the pink wire that connects to the fuel pump for voltage when ON. Your solenoid is under the cover.

If it's getting fuel (smoking during cranking) and you've got voltage getting to your glowplugs when they cycle on (right?), check also the HPCA (high pressure cold advance) and fast idle solenoid (green wire) on the injection pump. They can be difficult to start without this wire connected. If no voltage is present on the green wire (when ON cold) the thermo switch on the right side of the block (below exh manifold) is probably bad.

Do a search and you should find me rant about the CUCV glow plug system. In a nutshell, running with 7 out of 8 glowplugs is BAD. But it should start (a few times anyway /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif )

10. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

SK-15 - Wow, thanks. I was hoping there was some tool like that. Just concerned that the mushroomed part would break off, but I guess if it does it wouldn't matter because the head was coming off anyway.
    Tybee - I scratched my head over the timing thing for quite a while and I dont see any way to be off as long as the gears are timed correctly and the pin from the pump is in the gear hole. Is this right?

11. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

DieselDan
    Had fuel coming out at filter with vent open. It has power at the fuel solenoid and I can hear it cycle. It has fuel at the injectors, it leaks when the lines are loosened. It has power to the HPCA but the pump I got had the fast idle solenoid removed. The glow plugs have power when the solenoid is energized. Haven't seen any smoke at all, but that does make me think of something else, will a diesel not start if the exhaust is plugged? This truck was sitting out for a couple of years and I haven't checked the exhaust pipes for mice nests(they were everywhere else), in fact I discovered a new mouse trap - radiator overflow had no cap and there were 6 drowned mice in there!
    Also, I think it is hitting on a cylinder or two because it will crank fine for 15 seconds with no glow plugs installed, but when it is buttoned up ready to run the starter will disengage after a couple seconds like it is starting to run.

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Maybe a starter problem? If the starter lets go too quickly, the engine won't get fully running.

The 6.2L needs to turn over really fast for it to build enough heat to ignite the fuel (even with glow plugs).

Casey

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well this IS interesting. You've got fuel all the way to the injector, but still no smoke. Possible injection pump not build enough pressure? I've seen higher hour engines slow on hot starts (especially after running JP8 for fuel, an Army favorite). Maybe Arvee has seen something like this?
    I have run into generators running odd (or not running at all) when their exhaust(s) become clogged. But I think they still smoked when cranked.

Gotta get that starter problem ironed out if your ever gonna see this thing run though. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

IT'S ALIVE
    Sort of - it ran tonight but only for about five seconds. Then it continued to crank up and run every time I tried but only runs for about two seconds at a time then quits. What now? Filter pluged? I checked the fuel solenoid and it still has power when the motor quits. Also checked the compression and the lowest one read 290, all others were over 300 except #5 and #7 which I didn't test because the adapter I made from a drilled out glow plug welded to a hose adapter wouldnt clear the exhaust manifold. And it did blow a big pile of mouse nest, droppings and seeds out the pipe when it finally fired. Now that I'm sure it will crank, I'm going to get a new 12 volt starter and convert from 24 volts. I think it wouldn't start this weekend because I didn't let the lines bleed long enough and the batteries were getting a little weak.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is part of your problem, a plugged exhaust will not let the engine fire up. You were lucky you didn't do any damage. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK I'll bite. How can a plugged exhaust damage an engine? It 's not hydrolocked (sp). /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Glad it finally fired. My well worn pump occasionally leaks air (a few days every month /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif ) Then it's Crank Fest '02 so I can get to work. I got a rebuilt one on the shelf; it's on my list of things to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Dan, I never said damage to the engine, although I have seen that happen with a gas engine.
    But what I was talking about was the exhaust if he didn't get smoke and fuel was being pumped, that means it was getting to the exhaust and finally when it did fire up and the plug blew out I don't know if you have ever seen an exhaust explode, it's not a pretty sight.
    And you can bite, you can't hurt me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    IceMan