Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting on the 1973 K5 w/ 454 Big Block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tdogg1973, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Tdogg1973

Tdogg1973 Registered Member

Hello,
    I am starting my 1973 K5 blazer project and wanted to get some imput from the people here. I am planning on making this a daily driver but only when it rains and for trips to the store in that sense since I ride a motorcycle to work everyday. Otherwise I want the truck to be off-road worthy, but not rock crawler tough. Here is a list of the things I am having done right now:

Frame Down:
    1. 3/4 ton rear axle conversion w/ larger drum brakes
    2. Dana 44 upfront with larger disc brakes
    3. 4.10 gears
    4. 4" Suspension lift w/ poly bushings
    5. 1" shackle lift
    6. 4 Pro-Comp shock w/resevoir
    7. 17 x 10 inch rims
    8. 35 x 12.5 x 17 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains

Engine:
    454 Big Block
    I switched from points to HEI
    Edelbrock intake and manifold and RV CAM
    Headers are messed up and cracked any recommendations here would be great

Exterior:
    1. WARN bumper and winch on the front which will be modified to fit a light bar
    2. Stock Bumper in the rear

Interior:
    1. Remove all the carpet and put line-x inside
    2. Either fixing or replacing the two front seats
    I am thinking about modifying the roll cage in the front on the floor to put new seats in that need to be replaced and was wondering if anyone has replaced the seats in their truck and has some recommendations. I have seen two trucks with Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade seats and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I was also told Jeep seats work well
    3. It has a roll bar in it and I would like to remove the top and put a fully, covered, soft top on but have been unable to find one. Does anyone know a company that makes a complete kit for this?

Also, I was wondering about the transfer case. I am having the transfer case switched to part time and was wondering if anyone has done this and has any feedback.

Otherwise, any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. Tdogg1973

Have you used this particular top or know anyone who has? It looks great but I would like to know how well it works and how durable it is. Do you know if it will fit over a stock roll bar?

4. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have one on my '74 and am very happy with it.

If your rollbar fits under a hardtop, I'm pretty sure you will find that the top will fit.

Several of us around here have he fastrack top and are pretty happy.

Mine isn't completely watertight, but I only get a small drips around the top corners of the windows.... a tough place to seal with no door frame. I figure you'll have trouble finding a full convertible soft top for your blazer that won't have at least some drip somewhere.....

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds like a good plan, only things I would change is go to 8 in wide rims for 35 12-50's, do a disk conv. in the rear too and go to 4.56 gears instead of 4.10's. other then that is sounds great.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would get another aftermarket bumper the warn one really doesn't hold up to well. Other than that it sounds like a good plan. Be prepared for a few quirks when buying replacement parts, at least on my 73 a couple of things have been different. Also make sure you have your transfer case brace in the 203 is way heavy and will crack the tranmission housing, the part time kit is great.

7. Tdogg1973

Thanks for the info. What's the benefit of going with the 17 x 8" rim vs. the 10"? Also, I want a functional lift. I do not want to go huge for street purposes thats why Im sticking with the 35's. Do you think a 6" lift is better, or someone was telling me a 4" lift with a 1" shackle lift will clear the 35's, give a lower look and better funtion overall. What do think are the benfits and disadvantages of both.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

with 10 in rims its just not necessary to go that wide with that size tire. you will get less rim damage with an 8 in rim. and it looks better on a 8 then a 10. if you were running a 14.50 yea go to a 10, but your not. a 4 lift in is plenty with 35's. Im going with a 4 in and a 1 in body with 38's, granted I have clearenced my body alot to clear my tires.

you probably wont need to though unless you are lookin for alot of flex. I would only go with a 6 in lift for say 42/44 in tires but you would still have to cut alot of sheet metal away. some guys are runing that tire size with only 4 in lifts too. the lower the lift the lower your center of gravity the more stable your rig is.