Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting on the rig, pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CustomChevy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

1981 Chevy K10

-> 87 sierra short box body
    -> 81 K5 Frame and drivetrain
    -> 350 / 3speed auto / np208
    -> 33X12.50X15 BFG Mud-terrain

Next is suspension (2-3" lift), and slight body fixing needed on drivers door.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

looks good man what are your plans for it?? mods, and what not

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

that bed looks wierd, did you do the swap?

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Looks like he bobbed the front of the bed to fit the K5 chassis...

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i would of bobbed the rear of the bed for the better departure. thats my 2 cents. looks good none the less

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

now if you bob the bed it would be kinda cool to have a shorty pickup.

7. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

second that, like the 67-72 shorty's

Whats the final length of the bed?

8. CustomChevy

I didnt do the swap. The body and frame were in place when i got the truck. Not sure what you guys mean by bob ...but fill me in, i'm interested.

Bed length is 6'6".

As for whats next, i'm not really sure. I'll probably drive as is for the rest of this summer and use my winter storage (go go canadian winters) as a rebuild oppertunity for the engine / trans / tcase.

thanks for the kind words

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

bobbed means they cut the bed and took a portion out of it and welded the two pieces back together. this creates a shorter bed. most do it behind the wheelwell for better departure angle. urs looks like it was done before the wheel well. looks good none the less

10. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

yep its bobbed alrite

i did one once and you have to shorten in front of wheelwell to make it fit, otherwise the front of the bed hits the cab b4 the wheelwells are over the wheels..bobbing behind wheelwell is just to help departure angle and it does make it look better almost like a chevy cj7...measure and study first then cut could save some work(learned the hard way)when i did mine the cut fell right in the middle of the fuel door so i used the sawzall and welded it back together an then filled the half gas door and the stake pockets ..first try ever ,after the fact i realized i had to cut 11 and sum odd inces out and if i had moved my cut marks i could have just cut the filler door completly out and wouldn't have had to fill it..it still turned out nice tho, i was going to bob the back also as it was a long wheelbase bed and they have more tailend from center of wheelwell to back but ran across some 1 who wanted it bad enuff to pay the price so its gone ...it will look better if you bob a swb bed to begin with its about 8" or 6" shorter behind the wheelwell than a lwb i personaly like it when they use a step side and bob the steps off the front and back..nothing but fenders looking for 1 as we speak for my 80 model..yours looks nice as h&ll.......i have an '80 model blazer i'm doing it to rite now and its a swb truck. i also have a '69 blazer and a '68 swb truck but i just cant make my self get rid of that removable full top by puttin truck cab on it, although it did get the '68's front cap(looks like something chevy never made) and can be put back stock by swapping the caps back around and they only made alittle over 5000 '69's can't hack it ,but i sure can dog it :D by the way any1 know where i can get a half cab for the 69? and sum tube doors or the moulded in rocker panel that raises it up and makes a step over ? for the 69 also?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Kind of looks like it the bed was a long bed. and since he said it measures 6'6" i would say it was!

12. CustomChevy

you guys may well be right, but if the guy who did the conversion did slice and splice it, he did one hell of a grinding job on his welds, cuase there is NO noticable line at all.

13. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

yep!

i read over where he posted the length 6'6", that is what mine measured so it has to be a lwb bed...its not alot of grinding involved just alot of skill...i welded my bed back togethether with a tig torch..then used a tiger wheel on it maily just to clean it and a small glaze of body filler...your looks good as well and i hate to keep changing the subject but does any1 know where to get the moulded in rocker panel step over(like for the 1st gen broncos i see)for the 1st gen blazer or possibly at least a set of tube doors...i would rather have the step over conversion and make it with 1 bar running horizontal up higher tied into cage to swing out..again sorry for diverting your thunder the truck looks great..but i can only post in like 3 threads not sure whats happening...thanx :rolleyes: deep sigh