Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting out- What to do first?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by flyguy33, Jul 19, 2003.

1. flyguy33

flyguy33 Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm looking to do my blzr right....First things is I have an 84' with a 3 inch body lift...My first question is: Is this what causes the body to move so much from side to side, and so much sway movement while I'm on the freeway? This only happens when I get into some bumpy roads and the freeway is uneven... even little imperfections on the road causes it to sway. feels like a someone is rocking me sometimes...If it is i'm planning on dropping it down and doing a 4 inch suspension lift...Hopefully more sturdier... What do you guys think? More or less, I want the swaying to stop. I've been in other trucks this high and they don't sway this much...I've been told body lift on blazer more than 2 inches can cause lots of sway due to its short wheelbase and it puts more stress on the frame mounts. Your help and advise is appreciated .....

84' blazer
    3 inch body lift
    33 inch BFG AT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

An '84? Your springs and shocks are both probably shot causing the sway. I don't like body lifts but many people use them, just make sure it is a good one and not some home-made wooden block thing.

Replace the suspension to include shocks and all bushings, bet it helps......

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I second that mine is an 89 and all of that stuff was shot. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It used to dive into every corner. New springs and bushings all the way around. yeah I don't like body lifts either....suspension lifts on K5's are too cheap and easy to do body lifts.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll take a slightly different approach on my answer....

Have you ever driven in any other K5's? Is this the only one that you've experienced this "rocking" in?

The only reason I want to ask this FIRST, is to get a baseline for your expectations. Big trucks will have more body roll, than say, a Corvette......let's make sure the expectation is reasonable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Second, by all means go through and check the body mounts to make sure they're solid. I'm not "anti-body lift" so I don't think it's to blame in this case. Your shocks may just be worn, you may have a lot of worn out suspension bushings.....or not enough air in the tires!

Your truck should have come with a front sway bar, make sure it's still there and connected. They are a godsend on softly sprung trucks when driving on the street.

As long as you are reasonable about what you "think" a truck should handle like.....I'm willing to bet the solutions are going to be "the basics". K5s were pretty decent off the showroom floor, so you should be able to get respectable manners by ensuring that all the bushings and shocks are in good condition.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What do the body mount rubbers look like? If they're cracked get rid of them. Chances are the cups are shot too. Believe it or not, those rubber pieces are supposed to have metal inserts. Nothing beats OE ones so if you can afford them I'd go OE. The cheap ones for the core support are $4something and the expensive cab ones are $11. The metal cups are $4something as well.

The body mount rubbers and cups were one of the best investments I ever made for my truck. It improved the ride, got rid of some rattles, and lessened cab vibration. Oh, and it got rid of the cab feeling like it was going to fall off in a hard corner. All the body mounts looked good other than they were cracked.

If you're running car tires and not light truck tires the squishy-ness probably lies in the sidewalls of the tires.

6. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

I'm with Greg on this one. I had a 4" susp. with a 3" body lift on my '87 and I have a 4" susp. with a 2" body lift on my '88, and niether one did any swaying over what is normal. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Good point on the expectations. I sometimes get caught up in the rut that 'everyone' on here has had their rig for some time, or at least second or third....