Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting over

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Nov 15, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

after four years of driving my truck I think its time to start over. after rolling it the cab is smashed and Im almost certain that the frame is bent from the wrecker dragging it up a hill. Ive got a friend that has a bone stock 78 shortbed half ton with a decent motor and a bad tranny. he bought the truck for $2800 six months ago and is going to sell it to me for $500. Ive even got a good transmission to put in it. Im kinda sad cause Im rather partial to the truck Im driving now but the body and the frame are pretty much toast. My plans for the new truck is to stick my good th350, np208, shackle flip and front springs that came from my 84. its gonna get the 14ff and rear driveshaft from my 79 and eventually the motor from the 79. Then I guess Ill remove all the good parts left on the 84 and haul the body and frame to a scrap yard.:(

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

at least you won't see someone else driving it around. Eventually you will have one good truck thats made from parts of all your past trucks. The bucket seats in mine are from the very first car I ever owned, a FIAT.

3. big dan

I guess if you take into consideration the parts Im using its gonna be the same truck with a new body and frame cause Im gonna use the drivetrain that is in the one Im driving now.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's easier to list the things that are still on the truck from when I bought it.

frame
    bed
    front clip, radiator, minus the inner fender liners
    transmission(shift kit), crossmember(modified), and adapter(getting changed soon)
    back window
    T-case shifter, linkage and trans hump(modified)
    passenger door and the lock cylinder in the driver side

You would think it would be a longer list. Bought it for $1900 in 1998 from my bosses wife. It only took me 2 weeks to dent the drivers door. 3 months to lift it. and 1 year to blow the motor and basically start over.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  5. big dan

haha, the only parts of my 84 that are still 84 is the cab, frame and steering box. everything else has been swapped or removed.