Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting problem on 86 model K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Black Blazer, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Black Blazer

Black Blazer Newbie

Okay, here is the scenario, I drove my blazer to a party, I am in college, after the party I went to start my truck and leave. The engine rotated but would not start or sound like it would attempt to start. I continued rotating motor while pumping the gas a little bit. This is already after the one pump prior to turning the key to engage the choke. Still the engine just rotated and it smelt like gas outside of the truck so due to the time of night I decided come back the next day. Upon arrival, same thing one pump, turn key engine rotates, still won't fire. Tried so much that I ran the battery down. First thought was fuel pump, but after visual inspection of flow am not sure what is correct, when the gas is depressed fuel disperses into two bowls in the carberator, should those bowls fill completely up or not. They probably fill half way up. After rotation of the engine they are empty. So I figured there was no spark. I screwed up by taking the distributor cap off and the wires before manually checking for spark. The rotor in the distributor turns and I took out the control module below the rotor and had it test. It tested fine. So tomorrow I am going to put the distributor components back on and the plug wires and manually check for spark. If I have spark, then what are my possible other problems. If no spark, same as above. Just for general information the motor has just been rebuilt, new pistons (flat-top, .030" over bore), new camshaft, lifters, main bearings, heads were decked, magnafluxed and revalved. Thanks in advance.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First things first, brother. PLease fill out your profile- name and location are a must.

Now to your problem. You're getting gas- at least it sounds like it. So the problem is either TOO MUCH gas or no spark. You've yet to check for spark so do that first and get back to us.

When's the last time you've done a tune up? Have you checked your timing?

3. Black Blazer

Black Blazer Newbie

Okay fellows I put the distributor back together and checked for spark. If there was a spark it wasn't visible, so I replace the rotor, distributor cap, and coil, I think it was the coil. I again checked for spark, definite spark now. Okay, I go to start the truck, rotates but will still will not start. It sounded like it was going to fire a couple of times, but never did. I think its flooded, its getting plenty of gas, I checked the flow into the carb again, good strong spurt. When I pulled the #2 cylinder plug it was black and had a definite gas smell. Should I replace the plugs and rotate the motor a couple of times without them in or just take them out, rotate the plugs and put them back in and try to start it. You had asked about a tuneup. The motor was just built in January and everything is fresh, so no tuneup needed. Thanks again.

4. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Hold the gas pedal to the floor and make sure your battery is full! It will eventually start. My vette had this problem everyonce in awhile. Basically had to get jumper cables hooked up to the car and turn it with the pedal matted until it started.... in a big cloud of black smoke!

5. Black Blazer

Black Blazer Newbie

Should i while holding the gas to the floor wedge the choke plate and 4 barrel plate open while rotating the engine to mix more air into the equation.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

holding the gas pedal to the floor will clear the flood, it will probably start rough and blow out lots of smoke though. I think holding the choke open would make it flood more.

7. Eck

Eck Registered Member

Check the timing. I had a simular problem. It would only start with fresh plugs and flood the rest of the time. It was only a problem with the timing and being to far advanced. Have somebody turn it over while you rotate the dist and see if that helps.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is what I had to do to get my truck to start after I replaced the fuel pump. The timing was to retarded, and it wouldn't start until I advanced it.