Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting problem, please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmc79, Feb 2, 2006.

1. gmc79

gmc79 Newbie

I have a 79 gmc jimmy with a 350, the last time I started it up was around Christmas (I'm away from the truck for college). There weren't any problems then, just had to crank it and it fired right up. I tried starting it today and it turned over maybe 1/4 of a complete cycle and then there was just a clicking sound, no cranking or anything. What could this be? I need to get the truck to my new apartment so I can get it ready for summer. Thanks for any help!

2. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

A dead battery. Do your headlights work? What's the voltage gauge read?

3. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Jump it, see if it starts. If not, then post up again.

4. rustyear

rustyear Registered Member

ah, yes, the dreaded slow grind for a second or two and then the clicking...this means that there aint enough juice getting to the starter. Two causes of this: 1-dead or weak battery, the most likely cause in your case, and 2-bad/corroded/funky cables...this is ez to fix, tho, you just gotta unhook them and clean 'em up...cables are weird, the connections can corrode just sitting there so you have to check for it...but im betting the battery is at fault - this is easy to check with a voltmeter, if you have one or know someone who has...a fully charged 12 volt bat will actually show about 12.5 volts

5. gmc79

gmc79 Newbie

Not a dead battery, and the cables looked fine though I'll check those again when I get back. Headlights work/aren't weak as does the radio, etc. Thanks for the replys though.

6. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

you might have a fried starter just had the same situation on my 82 c30

7. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the soleniod then. Yank the starter and get a new one. Save the frustration of messing with it. You can have the monkies at your local parts store test if for you, to be sure, and if you dont know how to do it.