Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nate87k5, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

Since I have owned my 87(Little over a Year) I have had this problem when I start the engine. In them morning when I first start it, it will crank over real strong but when it fires up it is real sluggish for about 5-10 seconds and I get alittle bit of black smoke out of the tail pike. Then the idle goes up and the black smoke is gone. It will also some times make a deep pop,pop,pop noise out of the exhaust when I let of the gas after reving the engine while in park(not sure if there is a relation). The exhaust also smells pretty bad when the truck has been running for awhile. It is also sluggish going up hill. Now I have been told that the smell and the black smoke are from running to rich. So what I have done was replace just about every senor under the sun in the last year(O2,MAP,Temp,EGR,ECM,PVC,Knock,TPS,). I have also had a injector replaced, the heads redone, cat and muffler replaced, trans rebuilt, new batterie, ignition module, pick up coil, ignition coil, cap, rotor, wire, plugs, k&n, fuel pump has less the 20000 miles. The timing is also set at 0 degrees. So, I come to you guys for help. I need some suggestions. Maybe I am over looking some thing very small an not realizing it. Thanks for any help.

2. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

that's tbi right? if it were a carb, i'd say check the choke...sorry that i'm no help

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Usally the pop pop niose would be timing related or electrical. Would say one or more of your plugs are fouled. Does the black smoke come out when going up hill? Were both injectors replaced the other one could be leaking. My 87 was doing the same thing, turned out the block was cracked in the lifter valley through to two cylinders.

4. Nate87k5

Nate87k5 Registered Member

anyone else?

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Try replacing the TBI base gasket. It may be sucking air when decelerating (high vacuum). This may be the cause of your popping noise.

ken

6. Nate,I had a 88 model chevy 4x4 with a 4.3.It had the same symptems your talking about,I tried a few things and pulled the 4.3 out.Well I now had low milage 350 TBI.I was waiting on a chip to be burnt for the 350,so I started it up with the same ECM harness ect.Did the same thing!!!I replaced the ECM and got the new chip instaled,started it up.Problem solved!!!

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

87...first year for the TBI on production trucks...pop-pop-pop on decel would be related to the diverter valve in the air management system....its not venting 100% of the air to the atmosphere...making your noise i believe...that is if the air pump is still there.

azblazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban