Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting Problems after gas tank swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cj7jeep81, Sep 24, 2003.

1. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I swapped the gas tank on my '78 Chevy last weekend (new tank, new sending unit). I have been trying to get it to start, but haven't had any luck. I primed the carb with some gas and put some in the tank, and it started right up. However, if I hit the gas pedal it would die. If I didn't hit it, it would just idle really rough and eventually die. I have tried using starter fluid as well, but it just runs for a second and dies.
    Obviously it isn't getting any gas from the tank. Do I just have to do this for a while until the gas makes its way through all the lines? Should it have made it by now?
    The only other thing I can think of is I may have crossed the fuel lines. My sending unit has two outlets (one uses a 3/8" hose and the other a 5/16"). When I hooked the lines up, I didn't realize this and used 3/8" on both. I bolted the tank in place, and then realized the problem when I went to hook the rubber lines to the hard lines. Would getting them backwards cause this problem or some other problem? If so, I might try switching them. If that doesn't work, I will probably have to drop the tank and re-do the rubber lines (which I would rather not do).
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The return line just dumps into the top of the tank. So if you have the lines reversed then the fuel pump is just sucking air from the top of the tank. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It needs to be sucking fuel from the bottom of the tank. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

That would explain why it doesn't seem to be getting any fuel. I will try switching the lines tonight. Thanks for the help!