Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting problems...PLEASE HELP...going crazy

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by At0m1c, Apr 16, 2003.

1. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

I recently bought a 1982 Jimmy with a 6.2L Diesel. The previous owner said it needed a new injection pump so i bought a rebuilt one and installed it. Now i bleed the lines and made shure the diesel was getting to the pump but it wont start and iam thinking it is the glow plugs because the idiot light never come on. Now when i crank it over i get smoke out of the middle ports (i assume these 2 ports are for the EGR system) and smoke out of the exhaust but it just wont start.

I took the glow plugs out to inspect them and they looked fine so i wiped them clean and reinstalled them. Iam getting a clicking from the relay mounted on the driver side fender but the light doesnt work (the bulb is brand new and i asked the previous owner if it worked before and he said yes). Now my question is what the could be my problem and also how can i test to see if my controller is working and my plugs are acctaully getting power when the iginiton is in run.

Sorry for the long post but i just want to get all the details in. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Is your relay clicking on then click off a little while later. If the relays working properly then the controller is making it work properly. Is fuel coming out at the injectors?

3. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

I havent taken the lines off at the injector ends yet. I make shure i do that and update you as to weather iam getting diesel to the injectors. I imagine iam because there is a heavy diesel smell after cranking it over and theres the smoke.

Oh yeah one more thing, the relay clicks on and off and eventually (like 45 seconds later) stops. Is this normal or is it only supposed to click on once and then click off when the glow plug cycle is done? This is my first diesel so iam new to all this glow plugs and injection pumps lol.

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I dont know the exact cycling but the relay clicks on then about 7 seconds turns off then 7 sec. back on. Does this a couple times then shut off for good.

5. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well i feel your pain i just kepp coming back to these dam deisels its a love hate thing for me i am going threw some starting problem my self but mabe i can help ya with yours

so 1
    do u have a test light ??
    if so attach the lead to the + post on the battery then touch each glow plug conector ( disconect the little green wire that goes to it first ) does the light come on ?? if so the glow plug is still good if not the plug is bad
    2 have you done a compression check yet ??
    as if the compression is to low (the book says 300 psi )it will not start
    3 yea good point about the fuel coming out of the injectors
    4 are u sure the fueland injectors are "good " ??
    5 and finnally how did you set the timing when u put the injetor pump back in again ??
    6 hope your wallet is fatter then mine as these suckers love to eat $$$
    7 but on a god note when ya do get it going i get 22 mpg freway and 16 mpg in town from my burb
    find me something else that can say that for the same $$
    hope it helps
    rj over and out /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I can also add, as this just happened to me, to check the plugs again. They can burn out and the relay cycle fine. It is not a resistive circuit whereby the plugs burn out then system fails. Pull out each plug. While the relay is cylcing with the key on(assuming it is cycling properly), plug a glow plug into any tab on the glow plug harness and hold the tip of the plug against the cyl head. The tip should glow read hot. Please be careful how you hold them so as not to scortch yourself.
    I have learned that if smoke is coming out of the intake while you are cranking, them the plugs are burnt and the pump is fine.

7. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Check the most simple thing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif FUEL PUMP. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    5 and finnally how did you set the timing when u put the injetor pump back in again

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe its 180 degrees out.

9. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

Ok... I tryed taking a glow plug out, pluged it in and held it against the cylinder head with the ignition on (and the relay clicking) and it did not turn red hot. Iam not shure how long i was supposed to hold it for it to become red hot tho. Should i hold it on till the relay stops click or would it become red quicker? Again i dont really have any experience with diesels so all help is appreciated.

As far as the timing on the pump i just lined up the scribed timing marks.

Oh yeah and i do have diesel coming out to the injectors so that narrows it down some. I thinking its glow plug or injector related? How can i further troublshoot these?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This is how I tested my glow plugs. I used my jumper cables, black to neg on battery, red to positive. Neg clamp to the threaded part of the GP...hold the neg and clamped glow plug by the insulated grips on the neg lead. Now touch the positive lead to the tab that the wiring attaches to on the end of the GP. If it's good it'll begin getting hot immediately and get red in a few seconds.

Rene

11. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah and i do have diesel coming out to the injectors so that narrows it down some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like its a glow plug issue HOWEVER. EVEN if your fuel pump is BAD you may still get diesel to the injectors because the INJECTOR pump is sort of like a pump.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Correct, the Stanadyne pumps have an internal lift pump in addition to the engine mounted one.

13. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

Ok...another update.. I did what tRustyK5 suggested and the plugs worked. They get awfully hot in a hurry lol. Ok...so now it pretty much has to be the glow plug circuit because when i tested the plugs like NewK5Guy suggested they didnt work. Iam starting to think its the controller since the idiot light doesnt come on and the relay seems to be working. I have heard that on '82s you can use the stock relay and bypass the controller w/ a manual switch.

Iam not all that great w/ electronics but if i have diagrams i can ussually do it fine. So does anyone have a diagram of the glow plug circuit or any schematics on how to wire up a manual switch from the relay? Or ANY other information that might help me out lol, its all appreciated.

14. tRustyK5

There is a blue wire that goes to the controller at the back of the motor. Cut it about 3" from the controller and pull it out of the harness. Now route it through the firewall to the underside of the dash. Attach the blue wire to one side of a momentary switch. Attach a ground wire to the other side of the switch. Push button to activate the glow plugs...let go of button to turn em off.

That's how I did mine and it's starts first time every time now. I also switched to the AC 60G glow plugs.

Rene

15. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

Thanks tRustyK5. Ill try that, i have one question..why did you switch plugs? Whats the advantage or the stock ones? Thanks for all the help. Hopefully its just the controller.

16. tRustyK5

The stock plugs commonly burn up very quickly, sometimes the tips mushroom and they can't be easily removed either. The 60G's take a hair longer to warm up, but they are very durable.

Even my local parts store recommends the 60G's as replacements, they don't even carry the 9G's and the 11G's anymore.

rene

17. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If your relay is clicking then power should be flowing through the relay to the glowplugs, so maybe your relays bad. Test your relay!

18. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

Tybee how do i test the relay. As i said i dont know that much about electronics or diesels. Thanks for the help.

19. At0m1c

At0m1c Registered Member

Well...iam pretty shure i found the problem. I decided to test all the glow plugs like tRustyK5 said to (i had only tested one of them before) and only 3 out of the 8 plugs worked. Advanced Auto is the only place around here open and they claim they dont have any AC Delco 60Gs (iam replacing all the plugs) so now i have to wait till Monday /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Hopefully that will be all the problem is though and she will fire right up. Thanks for all the help everyone. Ill update on monday when i get the new plugs.

P.S. --- I would still like to test the relay just to make shure its good.

20. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

If you have a test light, check on the large terminal the opisite one that goes to the battery and with it energized you should read some 12 volts. Hope that helps