Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting problems.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kenaik5, Jan 6, 2006.

1. kenaik5

kenaik5 Registered Member

I just purchased my 72 k5, it has a pretty hot 383 in it. Over the summer i noticed that it would always hesitate starting after i've been driving it for a while.It would act like it didn't have enough cranking power to fire it up? Recently i drove it about 15 miles and stopped to get gas and it would not start. The battery was totally dead, but after about 1hr, it started like there was never anything wrong?? My question is first, has anyone had this happen,and what battery- starter combo would you recommend. I just purchased a Optima red top ( have not installed yet) and still have not purchased a starter.I was thinking of a mini high torque? I should also note that it has a huge stereo, and at night when i have it up loud, the headlights go to the beat of the music , which is probably a alternator problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated THanks,Kenai

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Do you have headers on it. I went through this on a 70 Burb with headers. Its called heat soak, into the starter. I finbally found an OE heat shield for the starter, put insul tween it and the starter. That solved the problem.

3. kenaik5

kenaik5 Registered Member

No Headers yet, but they are coming. I thought that might have been the problem also, but not quite sure? Thats why i was thinking of using a mini high torque starter. Thanks

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

The little trips are what get ya. Shut off for 10 minutes to run into the store, or buy gas,come back out, rig acts like dead battery. A good stock starter will work just fine, just need the heat shielding.

5. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hard Start

I agree with 3 on the tree. I had a 67 442 that did the same thing. You can always take your units to a good parts store and they will check them out for you. Might save you some money, my olds didn't have headers on it either. It could be a cooling problem as well, thing expand when they get hot,pistons,connecting rods, basically all rotating parts inside your engine. If your engine was built to tight specs, it could be that!!! Later J.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  6. fatdog

fatdog Registered Member

Also check your timing isn't too far advanced.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

heat, i wrapped my header in heat sheild, no probs since. cost ya about 20 bucks. u can also buy a high heat starter for a couple hundred.

8. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I agree on the timming since you have a hopped up 383. I just put a new harmonic balancer on my Jeep (chevy 350) and man what a difference.

9. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. Bought the heat shield and it got better, but not perfect. I then replaced the wire going from the switch to the solenoid. Now it starts every time in the Arizona heat. There is another thing you can do which is to install a remote solenoid (Ford) and mount it on the firewall. It costs around 15 bucks. This takes it away from the hot areas and will help especially if you get headers.

10. LucasJ03

LucasJ03 1/2 ton status

Does it have HEI dist. If so I had a problem with the little electronic chip in there it would start sometimes and then would act dead other times. Got a new chip and it was fixed.

11. k5baby

k5baby Registered Member

I had the same exact problem. I had a new battery also. I would fill up with fuel or run into the store to get something and it wouldn't start. Wait an hour and it would. I replaced the starter and wires to the battery. Never had a problem since and I even have headers.

12. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Check the simple things 1st.
    What are the condition of the battery cables.The cheap WalMart/Pepboys like cables are cheap for a reason.
    Loose grounds or corrosion at either the battery terminal or at the starter can effect things.
    Remove the cables and clean both the negative and positive battery posts.Also reomve the ground cable at the block and clean that connection point.

The "Hot start" condition you describe is VERY common with chevy's.
    As stated a heatshield can help but most run a remote Ford starter relay.
    I have mine mounted to the passenger fender.
    [​IMG]

I had "Hot start" problems when I 1st got my 71.Replace my cables with some home made ones.I used 2g welding cable and soldered and crimped on some quality copper terminal ends.
    I've never had a "Hot start" issue since.

13. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

powermaster

i use an optima battery, and a mini powermaster starter. i really like the setup. when i was younger and broke i lost a good motor because of starter shim problems. im very diligent about my starting systems and i really like my little starter. another thing i like is that it can be taken out in less than 5 minutes.
    i live in southern cal. and im in slow traffic constantly. i haven't had any problems yet.