Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nerraw117, Feb 25, 2006.

1. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have been having so many problems it isnt even funny.

It started off that the truck just ran rough. So I changed the ignition module and then it wouldnt start at all, and when it was turning over, it randomly pauses, almost like it wasnt getting enough current.

So I tried checking the battery cables, and when I did I snapped the connections off the solenoid on the starter. I put a new starter on, made a new set of battery cables, and tightened everything up. Then when you turn the key the truck still wouldnt start, still making the pauses every now and then, still like it wasnt getting enough current. To make it even worse, the starter would continue turning the motor over, until you popped off a battery cable.

So I thought perhaps it was the ingnition switch, so I replaced that. Now when you try to start, same as before, but when you pull the cable. If you touch it back to the battery post, it just freewheels. The bendix doesnt engage the flywheel, it just spins, without extending.

Does anyone have any idea? Ive tried charging the battery, jumping etc, so I know it was getting enough juice.

Sweet God help me, I have no idea what to do. Please help.

Steve

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds like...

I'd guess the solenoid is sticking,or the purple wire on it is touching the battery cable at the solenoid,or it could be the fork inside the starter sticking,that shifts the bendix drive into the flywheel..also make certain the flat copper strap coming out of the starter motor that bolts to the solenoid isn't touching the battery cable,that will energize only the starter,without engauging the bendix drive..

As for it not starting after you changed the module,did you pull the distributor to change it,or move it??..if so,the timing is probably off...first thing is to cure the cranking problem,then you can diagnose the "no start" condition.

Good luck,electrical gremlins SUCK!.. ..had my share of them in old corroded wiring harnesses...:crazy:

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

None of the wires on the starter are touching, and when he replaced the module, didnt pull the distributor. The starter doing its weird thing, did it with the starter that was on it, and it does it with a new starter I had laying in my garage. I went through my GM manual and am at a loss as well.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

running out of ideas!~

Only thing I can add is maybe the purple wire to the solenoid is burnt and melted into another 12v hot wire somewhere with limited amperage,that makes it keep cranking after you turn the key,and get the starter spinning..but does not have enough current to fully engage the solenoid on its own..:confused: ..

I'd start looking for shorts in that purple wire,it goes from the ignition to the neutral safety,then to the soenoid,
    and ALL the ones going to the starter and alternator..doubt that 2 starters would act the same..its got to be a wiring issue,I'd guess...:crazy: