Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dirt Boss, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Dirt Boss

Dirt Boss Registered Member

I have a 83 K-5 and I have a problem. When I turn the ignition over nothing happens. By this I mean non of the ignition lights come on, no seat belt warning light, or any other eletronic device that would usually come on when you turn the key over. I'm confused now because my domelight,headlights, and horn all work. I don't want to go spending all this money on something simple so I want to get a good stand point from everyone. Thanks, please help.:bow:

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a good place to start is a good wiring diagram and a test light. it sounds like its gonna be one of the hot wires that runs from the battery to the ignition switch or the switch itself. I had a truck do the same thing to me a few weeks ago. one of the wires running to the ignition switch had come loose so the switch wasnt getting any juice, so that is where I would start looking.

3. Dirt Boss

Dirt Boss Registered Member

Thanks I'll start looking there.

4. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

You might also check and make sure that you have good, clean connections at both battery posts, at the starter itself and ground. Also check the cables themselves - corrosion, bad cable ends, and bad insulation are killers. I've see it where the dome lights and such have worked - because of low amp draw - and as soon as you turn the key to start - high amp draw -, because of a loose/dirty connection, you will get nothing. The connection will arc or spark but is not tight/clean enough to supply you with full power. Also check to make sure that your battery is good - bad or shorted cell? Check it with either a multi meter or a load tester. A good, fully charged battery should be around 12.8 volts.
    Good luck.