Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting probs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chris12, Oct 24, 2006.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    Well it seems when i drive my truck into town which is 10 minutes away. I will shut it off and start it right away again but it will not start right away. IF i leave the truck for like 10- 20 minutes and try to start it again it starts right up. What si the problem here. It just started doing this when i swtch my battery from a red top optima to a normal motorcraft battery.

2. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Exhaust is overheating your starter relay wire in another starter relay else where under your hood. Also try a search I am pretty sure there is a thread on this already.

3. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

May i also ad that it started doing this on sunday when is switch from a red top optima to a motor craft battery. Optima battery wasn't mine.

4. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Well i have to drive it to school 2 more days and its in the garage for a new clutch. But we had this problem in my dad J**P and you let it cool down and it started right back up. it ended out being the brushes in the starter.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's usally the starter solenoid is locking from heat. Typically happens on older starters, or cheap ones. Your optima probably had enough juice to overpower it to kick in. I'd replace your starter, or at least the solenoid.
    THey also make little heat shields that attempt to keep heat away from the starter in an attempt to prevent this from happening. A good quality starter is preferable though.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status