Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting Stereo Install for 86 - Need Ideas and Photos

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 1986Blazer, Jun 16, 2001.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Everyone - I am new to the forum but have had my 86 K5 for 6 years and it is finally comming togther. The stereo is next. I am looking for ideas for amp install, speakers, and sub. I have the rear side panels off and they will stay off - the entire interior has been Rhino lined. I have two Alpine 300W amps, a Sony XEC-1000 Crossover, a 8" sub box (MTX) and about 8 other speakers, Alpine head unit and 6 disc changer. I have seen DBlazer's posts and his website - if DBlazer reads this, any ideas would be welcome, I am now in Key West but I resided in Arlington for 7 years - I lived just off 360 and Ave J. I have seen door panel speaker installs and like them best. The following website has some K5 pics including a door panel with speakers - Does anyone know where these panels can be purchased?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/11300941/11305273zrRZqzDPgO

The guy that has this site does not have a personal email address for questions.

Othewise, I am looking for pictures and ideas - I can then post intelligent and direct questions for specific problems. Thanks everyone.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That link you included...the pic of the speaker pod in the door looks custom made. I don't remember seeing a generic one like that from any single manufacterer. Any decent shop should be able to duplicate that with little effort though. Make a template with cardboard, trace it onto some 5/8 inch MDF, cut it out and carpet it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I have some photos where I mounted my speakers check the link below...any ???'s send me a private message!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Chris, I don't have any pictures of that yet but will take some in the near future. My truck did not have the factory pannels installed in the rear so what I did is make them out of plywood.
    I cut the pannels to tuck under the top lip about 1" and a little bit under the ash tray. I cut a slot at the bottom below the ash tray to feed wires down under the carpet, cut out for the 6x9s just back from the ash tray (also helps feed wires), cut a slot 6" long in the very back passenger side pannel (leave a couple inches for strength) to feed the wires out to the amp.
    You many want to hold the amp up on the pannel to figure the best place to cut the slot. Also don't forget to cut a hole for the bolt in the back that holds the top down. Then while out, I carpeted the whole peice over. I just used the cheap Walmart black carpet. I used a spray on adhesive to hold the carpet down nice, folded it over on the edges and stapled it from behind. Cut out the holes and did the same. Where I was feeding wires through etc. I only put a slice in it and didn't fold it. That way it wouldn't look like a hole. I feed all the wires through and hooked it up. The amp is mounted to this pannel in the back behind the wheel well. I used the little black plastic screw covers & caps so the screws had a nice finish look. My 12" sub is mounted behind the drivers side wheel well and did require some cutting at the bottom wheel well side and a notch long the top to fit under the top lip of the bed. It fit so tight in there that I didn't even need to screw it in to hold it (even wheelin). I hope this helps. I'll post some pictures when I get them and also post this on the site in case anyone else can use the info. Good luck, contact me if you have any other questions. Dave
    Oh by the way, I put 6-1/4" infinity speakers in the lower section of the doors. I heard from some guys that they hate the pods at the floor because the get beat up and are in the way of the parking brake (I agree).

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

5. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Dave:

Thanks....I will look forward to your pictures....

Chris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</A>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I was thinking of putting 6 1/2s in the kick plates, and I don't have an emergency brake. Good/Bad idea? Why?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i see alot of peps but those in the kick panels... good place to set up a sound stage area.. and if you dont have to worry about the e-brake then why not... just make sure you got grilles over them...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cool! That's my next stereo project. I picked up an 800 watt amp for $50. I don't even know what kind it is, but it sounds gooooooood!!!

Tim

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

lol... find out what the amp is and what brand and what not and let me know... i will give you the run down on it..

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's an L.A. Sound Venture 200GT. Whatever that means. It's supposed to be a 200x4 amp. I've got it bridged across one side and OH MY GOD!! This thing really bumps...but it'd be better to use for all my other speakers (run my 6x9s and 6 1/2s off it, then use another amp for the subs).

Tim

11. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

accustically i am not sure if the amp will be that clean.. but hell only one way to find out right... hook it up and if you dont like it change it.. hehehee.. let me know how it comes out..

Prembird

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Somebody stole my 6x9s, I've got to get them back. I need to get a set of 6 1/2s too, I don't have any right now.

Do you know anything about that amp? I think it's just some junker, but it works the subs extremely well, believe it or not.

Tim

13. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well i dont know the amp exactly but i know the name... They are over rated on the power.. it may say it is pushing that much power but it isnt... as for working the subs... it probably does.. normally subs dont need a very clean signal.. you are mainly looking at just brute power output to subs... if there is more distortion in the amp then others then you will hear it in the mids and highs where as you wont tell the difference in subs.. now.. if you get to much distortion then you will hear it in the subs... personally if you want to use the amp i would put that on the subs then get a cleaner amp for your other speakers..

Prembird

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind for the other speakers?

I don't know the RMS, but I guarentee this amp is putting 400 peak into my subs. They hit, and hit HARD. I'm amazed these $50 subs can hit this hard. They're just Punches.

Tim

15. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i would suggest goin to a couple different stores and check into what you think sound best... If i had to recommand speakers then i would say eclipse or something like that.. kinda $$$ but i think they sound good..

Prembird