Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting the 400...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SwanGuy, Oct 30, 2002.

1. SwanGuy

SwanGuy Registered Member

I've got a problem fellas. I dropped in the 400 small block I was talking about and man does it run great. The only problem I have with it is that whenever you run it on the road for about half an hour to an hour, shut it off, then try to start it again the starter spins really slow. Now I can rule out a couple of factors here; it's not the battery, because it's brand spankin' new, and it's not because of an old, shitty starter, I picked up a new OEM one from Autozone yesterday. Could it be timing? Could it be the heat from the stock exhaust manifolds that are about 2in away from the solenoid? I'm baffeled...everyone I've talked to is baffeled. Thanks for your help fellas.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I would guess your timing is off. The 400 likes a low static timing of about 2 degrees. Also check that your vacuum advance is routed through ported vacuum (no vacuum at idle and manifold the rest of the time) instead of straight manifold vacuum so your not trying to start it advanced.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you have a heat shield for your starter ??? That could be heat soak.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Could even be the cable. I used to run the timing on my 400 at around 10 to 12 degrees. I did have a bad cable on my old Chevelle that caused the same problem that you are seeing now. Good luck.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

might check the motor ground from teh battery. Buddys was loose and it spun so slow cause the ground was going throught the little wire off the battery cable and smoked the wire nicely. Something to check maybe.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it starts fine cold, but not when warm, I would check your wires (i.e. bad ground), and if the wires check out, then I would check ignition timeing (may not be a bad idea anyways), and if those don't work, it could be a heat soaked solenoid (especially if you run headers). If that is the case, you can use a shield or remote mounted solenoid.

7. SwanGuy

Well, you fella's say it could be a ground strap huh? Ya know the one that goes from wherever to the passanger side exhaust manifold bolt? For lack of being able to reach it better, I grounded it out to another spot on the frame, instead of putting it back on the exhaust manifold bolt. Do you think this one ground strap in particular could be the problem?

8. SwanGuy

How do you go about mounting a remote solenoid? Is there a webpage with a parts list and schematic, so that I don't have to do any guess and check?

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status