Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting to install the insulation

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Yukon Jack, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Did a final fit of the 98 Silverado 40/20/40 seats in my 69 K20 yesterday and then that evening I started installing the insulation. I made some re-enforcement brackets/plates for the seats as they have the integrated seatbelts and I have heard the floor needs to be beefed.

The mounting holes on these seats to not match the existing holes so what I did was add these plates to the top of the floor and then I have also made three plates that go under the floor.
    [​IMG]
    There is a section of C channel welded to the front bracket that the middle seat attaches to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Underneath the truck I have this plate that is in the raised area below the front bracket.
    [​IMG]
    Then I have two additional plates that both go perpindicular to this plate. One is about 5" wide and connects the front seat bracket to the rear seat bracket nearest to the transmission. Then I have a plate that is about 1 1/2" wide that connects the front seat bracket to the rear seat bracket nearest to the door. My intent is that with these brackets tied together from the bottom of the floor to the top of the floor, I have reinforced the floor where the seats bolt in.

Got some of the insulation installed last night.
    [​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SWEEET! Should work just fine, sounds like it will anyway:D

Only update from me is that I started my 454 again and messed with the tuning a lil bit. I still have some baby steps to take before I can actually drive it. I am still very busy so no time to tinker....getting close though:grin:

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is SOOOOOOO clean :thumb:

What are you using for insulation?

4. Yukon Jack

I am using a foil insulation available from Home Depot. Some guys over at 67-72chevytrucks.com have used it with good results. I just can't see putting big money into insulation but I figured I ought to do at least something while it is all apart. Hope to get out tonight and get the cab insulation done and at least lay the carpet down to see how it looks.

When I got the seats in yesterday for the test fit I called my two daughters to come over and we all got in the truck and they thought it was pretty cool. I think they like the new seats alot better than the old bench seat. Only bad part is the truck is so damn tall they can't get in and out without help.

Burt, I understand the no time thing 100% - it is so tough once you have a family and all that goes with life to find free time. Makes you appreciate the little free time alot more.

5. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Insulation

Are you doing the inside of the doors too?
    Or just covering the 'big' area?
    Looks great, you'll really appreciate the seats when you start driving it.

Like the way your seat bracket doesn't raise the seats up much. :waytogo:

6. Yukon Jack

I plan to do the insides of the doors as best as I can.Yep, I'm looking forward to those seats. They are in better shape than the seats in my daily driver. :rolleyes:

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Nice job.Good job on the brackets:thumb:

I wounder what GM did to the floor of the trucks those seats came out of?

What I mean is how much "beefier" is the floor from the factory.

8. Yukon Jack

I haven't had the opportunity to look at the floor in a pickup with these seats to see what they do to reenforce the floor.

About have the insulation finished as of last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack the post but that is coming out really nice! I reallylike your gauges, bezel cluster. Where did you get it. I am in need of new gauges. Thanks and keep up the good work!

10. Yukon Jack

I took my bezel and modified it to accept the Autometer Phantom gauges. Really easy to do, but the wiring does take a while to do. On the bezel you need to remove most of the silver recessed area in each guage position. The gauges come with brackets that secure them to the bezel. I can post the pics of the guages and the back side if you haven't seen those pics.

11. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

PLase do post those pictures of your bezel. They look really nice. Thanks I aprreciate it.

12. Yukon Jack

Here is one pic before mounting the guages in the truck - I did end up switching the speedo to the other side

[​IMG]

And here is a pic showing the guages with most of the wiring done.

[​IMG]

13. Yukon Jack

Here are the brackets I am using under the floor to attempt to reinforce the floor - they tie into the brackets above the floor shown in the earlier pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

nice work, I really like the guages :D