Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting to piss me off ***PROBLEM SOLVED WITH GOOD SOLUTION***

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Starting to piss me off

Is the motor stock? I had similar problems with starters years ago on a motor with high compression and big HP

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

motor is stock 350, stock exhaust, stock everything except the lift kit.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What keeps breaking? Is it the teeth/drive gear? Do you have the starter with the proper teeth to match your flexplate? Sorry if that's a dumb/obvious question and you've heard it numerous times, but it could save you some frustration if that's the only problem. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

starter gear/ring gear are correct, this is the first one that has actually broke the nose cone. I think that is due to the fact that i have to shim the damn starters a 1/2" on just the outside bolt in order to get the drive gear and ring gear to mesh

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It really sounds like there is a parts combination problem. Having to shim the starter 1/2" seems way wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I am going to say this and I hope you don't think I am being a smart alec. Is the ring gear mounted on backwards??????? I have been there and done that, I had the same problem.....

John

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No offense taken, I double checked it when i installed it, and i also looked at it today and its mounted on right....

I found out a little tid bit of information from the old timer parts
    guy at napa that is a retired GM engineer. GM casts there engine
    blocks at multiple plants and that there is a 1/2" varience in the
    mounting surface of the starter, that is the whole reason for having
    to shim it. The starters are all machined at the same spec.

9. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this will help but.. I have seen a *few* starters that had a "shim" cast in to the around the bolt holes on the nose cone. the side that is closest to the flywheel is thinker than the other end. the first few I saw were on 400's but in the last couple of months while helping a buddy change a couple out and they were on 350's

just thought I would throw that out there

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

from the peanut gallery
    BEEN there done that after 3 starter's in 30 - 45 days here is what my problem was
    Ya know that 1 longer bolt that comes out the back of the starter well its supposed to have a brace that goes to the engine block welll if the brace isnt there you will break the starter or ring gear when you hit the bumps- dips hard from the motor flexing and the starter not flexing fastenough with it or visa versa i had this 1 dip in the road that got mine all 3 times till i put up that brace as i like to hit it about 50 - 60 in my crew cab as it rides so smoooth
    well hope it helps
    im out
    P.S. thanks for putting up this ?? i think i am gonna go hit that dip again tomorrow just for fun at about 70 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Starting to piss me off ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

Problem solved everyone. When I found out about the engine blocks being cast at various sizes, I did a little measuring against my dads 77 burb w/350 and my sisters 80 K5 w/350 and between the 3 engines, there was a 3/8 of an inch difference from the same spot on the top of the block down to the mounting pad of the starter. So, since machining a completely assembled block was out of the question, I found a cast iron nose cone off a dead AC Delco original starter and had to machine the pad down .090. Now the starter works perfectly with no shimming what-so-ever, and a paperclip is just slightly tight in the gap. If anyone else has had similar problems, try checking into what I've had to do. Thanks for all the ideas though.