Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starting trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Nov 11, 2004.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

here is a few problems,
    1) evey now and then it will not start or after starting it will just die like it is loosing spark and just stopping. So I turn it over and over and the battery starts to run down so i hook up the 200 amp junp start battery charger and it will fire up. I disconect the charger and the idle drops a little and then a few seconds later it dies.
    2) when it wont start and I turn the key to the off position a stray voltage comes from the coil and the engine will kinda jump like it got spark and wanted to start.

I am at my whits end here. The following is everything i could think of that might help diagnose this problem

85 chevy suburban with a 383 motor,a new 6A msd box, a jacobs coil, unilite distributer, a high amp power master altinator, optima battery red top(checks out fine at auto zone, new ingnition switch and lock, eddelbrock 600 carb with a spacer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif will try just about anything now thankyou

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

help please /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

sounds like your battery is dead, and possibly the alternator is not charging? Is it a one wire unit? They need to be "started" by bringing up the engine RPM to 1300+.

It also sounds like your timing might be a bit off due to the jump you experience when you turn the key off.

Are these all new parts? Did you check the fuel pump to make sure it is working? Does teh carb have a site glass in the fuel bowl you can check to make sure the carb is getting proper fuel?