Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting troubles *Update*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I went to start the burb up this morning to take the wife to work.....nothing. Neighbor was outside so I asked him for a jump....still nothing(even left the jumper cables on my battery for about 5 min before attempt #2)still nothing. So I wait for daylight to come(this was at 6am this morning). Take my meter out with me, battery is fully charged(tested at 13.9V), pulled the starter and walked 3 blocks to auto parts store and the starter tested out as good.

Here is where it gets interesting....called my dad over and had him turn the key while I tested the battery and starter with the multi-meter....soon as he turns the key, meter drops to ZERO /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif So if the battery and starter are checking out to be good, where else can I look?

**Update, found problem but not fixed**

Well I managed to replace what felt like 50 miles of ignition wiring cause of burnt threw sheathing and grounding out......but, I don't know if this is coincedense or part of the problem, but the "Neutral/Park safety switch" thing was bad. Still is as no one in this town or any neighboring towns have one in stock /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so I had to order one and it won't be here until Tuesday.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Starting troubles

Try a known good battery, or have that one load tested.

Rene

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Ooops, guess I should of mentioned that....i did pull the battery out of my dads burb and put it in mine and it did the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif its almost like i've gained a direct short to the battery somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

That battery is toast. The fact that it drops to zero under a load confirms that. No need to take it to be tested. But since you have to turn one in for a core, might as well have it tested at the same time for a 2nd confirmation.

Testing the battery while not under a load isn't conclusive of anything when it comes to starting issues.

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Ooops, guess I should of mentioned that....i did pull the battery out of my dads burb and put it in mine and it did the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif its almost like i've gained a direct short to the battery somewhere /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thats a good piece of info /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double check all connections to starter, make sure the hot wire to the starter isn't grounding out anywhere. Some of those wires get pretty close to exhaust and can bake off the sheathing, and/or can get melted onto the exhaust causing a short every time you energize the wire. Dont ask how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Double check all connections to starter, make sure the hot wire to the starter isn't grounding out anywhere. Some of those wires get pretty close to exhaust and can bake off the sheathing, and/or can get melted onto the exhaust causing a short every time you energize the wire. Dont ask how I know this /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ah the joys of wires tracing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most likely spot is at the starter as Steve said. I had a weird short there a few years ago...and it caused the alt to go nuts and put out crazy voltage. In a matter of two blocks it burned out both my low beams and my high beams from excessive volts. Turned out I had a bare spot that would intermittantly ground out. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Rene

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

updated at the top