Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starting your 6.2-what I learned

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by rustyk5, Oct 19, 2005.

1. rustyk5

rustyk5 Registered Member

Just an update that I thought would be helpful to anyone out there who is new to the diesel scene.
    My cold starting technique was aquired from "The Diesel Page".
    After glowing for about 10 seconds I would turn the engine over with the gas pedal at half throttle. The engine would turn from 2-15 seconds before starting. Sometimes I would have to wait for the starter to cool before I could try again. I have burned up 3 starter selonoids, one battery cable and 1 starter in various attempts. :mad: :(
    A little while ago I asked a bunch of questions about updating my starter. I figured this was my weakest link. I had upgraded my battery, glowplugs, battery cables and replaced the mechanical with an electric fuel pump.

I have found that if I turn the engine over (after a full glow) WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GAS PEDAL that my blazer starts almost instantly every time. :D
    I'm hoping that when the really cold weather comes it will still work. I may still need to get the gear reduction starter to crank at 10 below zero.
    I'm not slamming "The Diesel Page", it's a great resource. I just wanted to share my experience and hopefully save someone a couple trips to the parts store because they melted their battery cables and cooked the selonoid. :wink1:

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

My truck has directions to start on the visor, similar to what you have stated. I'll have to go read them again, but IIRC its 1/2 throttle for over 30* and full under, or something like that. I'll go read it :D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what mine says too..

I have the starting instructions on my visor too(barely readable,but still there!)..it says the same thing--halfway to the floor over 30 degrees,and floored under 30..mine starts best if I hold it 3/4 to floored no mater what temparature it is..if I left my foot off the gas peadal,I could crank it much longer before it would even attempt to start!.. :confused: --just the opposite of Rene's truck!..I guess they all have their quirks!

I have my suspicions that the cold start timing advance switch isn't doing its job--I don't hear any change in idle speed after warming up either...so I doubt the fast idle solenoid works either..it always starts though,hasn't failed me yet,even after sitting several weeks.. :crazy:

4. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

We were wrong, it says 32* :D

visor decal.JPG

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I never have to touch my "gas" pedal, just make sure you have two hi quality batterys. also it helps if you replace the cables between the batteries and starter with heavy guage units...don't forget the ground wires to. With two proper batteries you should have atleast 1400 cca and the old type starters will spin fast enough to start ut even on the coldest days.

6. rustyk5

It has not gotten very cold up here yet, we haven't even had a frost yet. The season is late the coldest I've started is 40 degrees. I'm hoping it will start the same as it gets colder but it will be an ongoing experiment for sure :D

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I press the pedal JUST enough to engage the fast idle. If you slowly press down on your pedal with the engine cold you can feel a very subtle click when you've gone far enough........

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine starts quicker without holding the gas pedal down 1/2 too. Just get the fast idle click, glow, and let er rip.

Rene

9. rustyk5

Just curious, how many of you run electric fuel pumps? My pump runs for the 10 seconds that my plugs cycle. Maybe that has something to do with it? Getting the fuel line all primed and at the proper pressure BEFORE turning the engine over. Just a thought

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I run both pumps..

I have an electric pump right after the tank,an inline one,in addition to the stock lift pump on the motor..the electric pump runs all the time,(when the key is on only!)--but I can switch it off,(with a toggle switch on the dash)and it will keep running normally,though you CAN hear a difference in the idle smoothness with it off VS on..

(I tried running it with it off to see if I'd be walking home if the pump ever dies--evidently the lift pump and injector pump can suck fuel thru the electric one even when its off--I hope the same holds true if it croaks!)--

I do think it helps prime the injectors and pump to make it start faster..I haven't tried starting with it off,but I bet I'd have to crank it longer..It makes fuel filter changes much easier..

My truck seems to be fussier about the glow plugs--if I dont leave them on 8-15 seconds depending on temparature,its balky about firing up..(mine are wired to a pushbutton,stock controller is bypassed)..I have only 7 new AC G60 glowplugs..one old one refuses to come out,and I refuse to break it off! :rolleyes: -so #8 is in the glove box.. :p: