Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STARTING

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cowboywy, Sep 8, 2002.

1. cowboywy

cowboywy Newbie

I JUST BOUGHT THIS 85 JIMMY WITH A 6.2 ABOUT A YEAR AGO.THE PROBALM I AM HAVING IS I HAVE TO PUMP THE PETTLE TO GET TO START. COULD IT BE THE INJECTION PUMP OR WHAT? IF IT IS THAT WERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET IT FIX. I LIVE IN TUCSON AZ. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR A 4 INCH LIFT FOT IT. I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME AND THANKS.

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Pumping the pedal wont do any good. Sounds like the fuel system is getting air in it and its having trouble starting until the air is pumped out. Mine does the same thing. Luckily my driveway is at a slope so I make sure i park it with the a$$ of the truck in the air so the bubble will float towards the tank instead of the pump.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

To properly start a 6.2, you are supposed to give half throttle in warm conditions and full throttle (until it starts) in cold conditions. The DB2 pump has no provisions for excess fueling to ease starting that I know of, so the operator must take care of this.

4. Txstruck

I dont have to do that with mine (half or full throttle) If its the first start of the day and it was parked with the back up, it will start with the first few cranks. If its warm or had already been running that day I just have to bump the starter and she's running. Maybe because she only has 33K miles on her. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I didnt say you needed to do this to start it, I said its the proper way to do it, in other words it will start easier.

6. Txstruck

I hear ya. The way mne starts most of the time, I dont think it could get any easier. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

if ur really in a pinch try a couple of shots of wd40 in the intake mainfold
    hope it helps
    R

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

WD40? I tried that a bit ago and it won't work. Seems they changed the formula so that it was less flamable!! The only thing that I know of that works now is starting fluid, and that is a risk in itself because of the glow plugs and blowing heads!!

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

WD-40 still works, but it just takes a lot of it! You have to have someone crank the engine over while you're spraying it down the intake. It's much easier on the engine than Ether (starting fluid). I would never use Ether on a 6.2L. The glow plugs and hot cylinders can cause the engine to mis-fire and do major damage.

Casey

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ah, I just sprayed it down and then ran around to start it. And I wasn't to generous with it either!!
    I won't say never use ether, only in extreme cases and while inflating tires. If you get too much you blow yer engine sky high.
    I started my 6.2 on ether for a good 5 months, in the dead of winter!! Didn't break anything, but I know it wasn't the best thing for it!!