Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starts but doesnt Run

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BARRAZA, Oct 4, 2002.

1. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Got my M1008 to start but it will only run for a couple seconds at a time. Seems to respond to the throttle, ie it revs higher when the petal is pushed but still only runs for a bit. Have replaced the filter, checked the fuel solenoid, and checked the fuel return lines for blockage. The line from the filter to the injector pump is new, and the pump seems to be pumping fuel up to the filter ok. It runs longer on the first try after 30 minutes of being off, but still only for maybe 6 - 8 seconds. Also, it is starting almost instantly, barely having to crank it at all. Anyone run into a problem like this or have any suggestions?

2. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Could be bad fuel, seeing that they only need fuel,air and compression to run.

3. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I've only had that experience when I've had air trapped in the fuels system. By no means is this the only cause, but it is worth looking into. One good method I have heard is to get some clear tubing the same size as your return lines between the injectors and place it temporarily in place of the original return lines... have someone start the engine and look for bubbles in the lines. This may not work in your case since the engine doesn't run very long and you run the risk of introducing air into the system which may complicate your problem.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I am leaning toward air getting into the fuel line. I would start by working my way from the injector pump back and look for a fuel leak. When I had that problem it was coming from one of the fuel filter fittings.

The other thing it could be is the fuel pump not having enough pressure. I would think it should be around 8 - 10 PSI.

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Update - I have been going over everything because I thought it was an air leak of some kind. Turns out we are all wrong, I took the injection pump to the shop for an overhaul and the guy knew exactly what it was, governor in the pump is coming apart and pieces were stuck in the vent checkvalve blocking it. After it runs for 8-10 seconds, pressure builds up and it shuts off, then it would start again and immediately shut down. After a prolonged shutdown, enough pressure would bleed off to let it do the same thing again. Same effect as a blocked fuel return line.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well at least you found out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Now we have one more thing to check if we ever get the same symptoms, thanks for the update.