Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starts with screwdriver but not with key

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

76 K5 with a 350. I washed the truck went to move it a coupl eday later and nothing happened when I hit the key. The gauges jump and twitch like normal and the headlights seem bright so I clean both sides of the + battery cable and the other wire connection on the starter and still nothing when I hit the key. No clicking, nothing. So I turned the key to ON and hoped under the truck with a screwdriver and arched the starter. It fired right up.

I didn't have time to peel back the cable insulation and inspect for corrosion and I seriously doubt it is coroded so what other things might be the problem? The electronic deal inside the HEI? The switch itself? A fuse? What do you think? The electonic thing in the dist was replaced back in 1999 sometime.

Thanks, Dan

I know there is a way to check the electronic deal in the HEI with a meter but not sure how to.

2. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

fusable link or corroded starter wire (the one that activates the solinoid) Thats what is sound like to me. My 84 K5 had the same problem a few months ago, the wire that activates the starter solinoid was corroded into but the insulation was still good it was hard to find. I just started pulling on the insulation until it broke. Then I did the aux solinoid upgrade and I love it, no more starting problems

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

So you are saying check the lil wire on the selinoid? I will do that. Tell me more about this aux selinoid upgrade. Whats that about? Parts needed? Any pics?
    Thanks

4. 89Burben

89Burben Registered Member

how about the neutral saftey switch on the column? i had a truck that wouldnt start in park, but would in neutral, or if you jiggled the column

try neutral or tapping the switch, its on top of the column towards the firewall.....

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a column that would do that. you had to hold up on the shifter lever.

6. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

Here is a preety good example. I used the most heavy duty solinoid I could find at the local parts store. Its preety simple a it cures the chevy hot start problem. There is a lot of info on it just do a search! Just thought you wont be able to see the pic (so pay you $25) Just do the search youl find plenty

Attached Files:

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

OK thanks, I have never had a hot start problem in this rig. I will check all things suggested here hopefully Sunday. Any other suggestions please chime in.

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Well I only got to try the nuetral start- didn't work. Tried holding the shifter up, jiggling it in Park and Nuetral and nothing. I'll hav to check the wire on the selinoid. And where exatly is this fusable link someone mentioned. What color and location?
    Thanks, Dan