Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starving for gas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NeutralMan, Jan 9, 2002.

1. NeutralMan

NeutralMan Registered Member

i have 86 with bb been running find for month's now. one day im going up a hill and motor sound like running out of gas .i changed tanks then a few miles down the road it does it again but i can still drive 50 mph .so i think filter ? i change it the next day and 2 hours later it does it again i figure carb and change it , now im down to the external electric gas pump maybe ?
    remember the truck never dies right out it always idles fine !
    has anyone had the same problem or close to it ?
    i'd hate to put the money out for a new pump.

i have looked for holes in gas line and extra gas filters . tanks are in good shape as well

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Is your external pump mounted higher than your gas tank. They should be mounted no higher than your tank. Electric pumps have weak suction so they need to almost be gravity fed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

3. NeutralMan

the pump is level with the bottom of the tank .( on the front tank and the line out is 14 inch from pump level bottom)
    i have driven this truck for one year now without a problem front or back tank .

4. smilee

smilee Newbie

I had a similar problem on my '89. It would cut out when it was doing about 50 or when going up hills. Idled just fine. After replacing every sensor in the darn thing, I checked my plugs. The gap was way off. I re-gapped the plugs and now it runs great. Hope this helps, good luck.

~Lacie
    '89 K5 w/ 350, 4" lift (this weekend), 35" tires, power chip, shift kit, and other good stuff to come

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well BOTH my trucks did something simular. I had a bunch of crud get knocked loose in the tank and it kept plugging the filter. I Was replacing filters about every 100 miles for a short while.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. NeutralMan

just so we all know for next time
    the impeller on the carter pump were worn out
    i replaced pump and works fine now

thank for all the info