Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starzworks doubler, did i miss this???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Jan 5, 2006.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

dont know, but if your tryin to search its stazworks, not starzworks

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the regrind the inputs though, doesnt everyone else machine new ones?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its been mentioned here. It is just 2 pieces of steel you weld together or pay him extra to weld for you. Actually Stazworks just distributes it. Some other company makes it that their names is escaping me at the moment. I was heavily considering one until the WMS sale, I couldn't pass up the WMS setup for $500. The Stazworks doesn't have a mounting foot but it is mild steel so you can weld one wherever and however you want. I mean the WMS doubler is 3 seperatre pieces welder together as well, just beefier and with a mounting foot.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, and I know I've heard of at least one on Pirate breaking a reground input. But for that one there are hundreds out that that haven't. And I think they replaced the shaft free.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I just thought i would be worth mentioning...i would hate to be that one though and be stuck on the trail:doah: not really sure on the strngth differances though...:confused: cant be too much if its heat treated properyl. or at least i wouldnt think it would...

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

got to figure on the very old used lower grade steel of the stock shaft(doesn't have to be great its much larger than the doubler shaft and not meant for the abuse), vs the new high strength steel heat treated pieces we get with our doublers. I'd believe a large difference. You are right though. You can carry all the spares you want, who is gonna carry a spare intermediate shaft and the tools to fix it??

8. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I've got one.... They are made by Jedsmachining

They are pretty nice, for as little as the cost they are not as nicely finished as some of the others but are plenty strong. I'm not overly concerned with the shaft as sled said there have been very few broken.

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I have one also. Mine is still on the work bench awaiting the rest of the 4 link to be finished and put back together. I like the point where it has no presset mount or indexing. It allows the installer full flexabitlity in clocking the 205 and in making your crossmembers.
    That said if I hadn't got it befor the WMS monthly special I would have gone that way for the new shaft.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The only downside to that adapter is keeping the faces true. We considered doing the same thing with our Duece kits, just send out the pieces and let whomever finish weld, but it we just weren't comfortable with that. All of ours are welded then finish milled for trueness. You would be suprised, even with a slow weld process how much warpage you can get.

The components in the kit are strong, there's no doubt about that. He makes solid pieces.

KP

11. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Kyle that is the biggest thing wrong with the Stazworks kit. It really is amazing how much the adaptors warp with the welding process.
    For the price the Stazworks kit is a good deal but if I have heard correctly the kit is only the adapter pieces and the re-splined stock shaft. No gaskets, bolts or bearings are included.

I think all of the other kits come with those things.

It is a good kit but you just need to know what the hidden costs are.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and everyones doubler kits come with aluminum plates and fill plugs for the 203. My WMS one came with all hardware and that plate. I just used RTV instead of gaskets.

13. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

you know I was thinking about that,:confused: I wonder how much each plate warped durring welding. I think for insurance I will pull mine back apart and face one side than flip and face the other side parrallel. Only take a few minutes and it might save on shaft wear if the surfaces are off some and create a bind.

Kyle do you sell the shaft alone and if so what length adaptor is it made to work with? I am building another rig for my wife this spring and I think a doubler is in the works for that one two. Since I have CNC access but no equpment for cutting splines or hardening I could get a shaft and make my own adaptor.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have heard of some folks press welding their Stazworks setup. Namely, take the pieces, position them. Place them in a hydraulic press, apply slight pressure, and then weld. Helps to prevent distortion. never tried it, seems like it would work, but then things usually pull towards your weld heat so I'd think things would still bend inward.... who knows.

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Our adapters are 3" face to face for the standard 203/205 Deuce kits. Our next kits will be 5/8" face to face ;)

I'm sure we can do a shaft up for you, let me know when you're ready and we'll talk shop :D

KP

16. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Our next kits will be 5/8" face to face ;)

When is that coming out??

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Technically speaking, we've got the first installed right now ;) We are doing the 203-Dana 300 prototyping right now. The test rig is 1/2 a jeep with 1 ton gear, an LS1 on NOS w/ 42's and fox air shocks :D We like to test under extreme conditions :D

Here's a pic of the adapter:
    [​IMG]

And here's an early peak at the rig it's going in.

[​IMG]

It's actually a lot farther along than that, I just need to get my tail out there and take pics :D

KP