Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

State License Plates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Wtf is with some license plates? I get to see a lot of them seeing as kids come from all over to Wyotech. I just saw a Virginia one and bothered to read it. It says "400 year anniversary, 1607-2007".... who in the hell celebrates an anniversary that doesn't come for 2 years???? "Happy 2nd anniversary honey!!" "... we just got married 20 minutes ago..."

Or I know there are two states that at some points have had plates claiming to be the birthplace of flight. North Carolina and Ohio I think. Wtf? it can't be two places here guys.

PA has had really good looking license plates for about 2 years now, they just changed them to an ugly version of what we have now. Why they need to change, I have no clue.

2. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Weren't the Wright Brothers from Ohio and just went to Kittyhawk for the predictable and sustained wind?

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I like my old blue one, really like the blacks too.

4. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You got married 20 minutes ago what the heck are you doing on the internet and not on your... You know. This could have waited. C-ya and yes I agree it is stupid

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

And if you dont want the 400th anneversary plate (which I dont) you pay an extra 15 everytime you register (which I do). I think they just come up with ugly plates to make money off the other ones :frown1:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

we have about 10 plates here!

Mass has the "normal" everyday plates,plus a "teachers" plate,a "whale" plate,a "Cape Cod and the Islands" plate,"Veteran" plates,"POW" plates,and countless others if you want to hand over 75 bucks for them--not including any "vanity" plates that can say pretty much anything no one already has on their plate...if you got the money--MA has the plates.... :crazy:

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

The wrights were from ohio. They designed and IIRC built the plane there, and then came to NC to fly it. So if you wanna get technical, Ohio is the birthplace of the airplane, and NC is the birthplace of flight.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

MN has like 50 different plates, but you've gotta have special status to get most of 'em. I have a wildlife habitat plate. I donate x amount to the state game and fish fund every year depending on what my registration costs and I get the plate. Looks better than the regular ones and I'd donate the money anyways.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think the old Wyoming plates were the coolest I've seen, IMO. The new ones still have the bronc rider, but the fence is gone etc. I have one of the old yellow & brown ones in my shed. :cool1:

Tx plates are pretty laim for the most part.. but better than before, with nothing but black letter & numbers on a white background.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Colorado has "pioneer plates" (which means your family's been here for at least 100 yrs or something), collector car (over 25 yrs old, guess my K5 qualifies), amateur radio operator, Vol. Fire Dept., POW, Purple Heart, Disabled Vet, and my personal favorite:

"Respect Life" :surepal: (it's a Columbine commemorative)

I'm sure there are others, that's just all I can think of.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think I like the current NY plates:

[​IMG]

I think I still have a pair that have the twin towers in the city background, but I'm not sure.

The old ones weren't too bad, either.

I just checked out the custom plates, there's one for about anything you can think of... There's a friggin BMW club plate, a Land Surveyors plate... I guess it doesn't take much to get a custom plate in NY...

The National Ski Patrol!
    [​IMG]

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I like utah's different style plates but I refuse topay the state one more red cent involving MY automobile, so I get the basic UT plate. all the while smiling insideknowing I'm giving the state "the finger" :mad: :D

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

14. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

we have blue now and a bunch of dumb looking ones. but the black we had was the best. sorta a dumb thing but black matches everything. :D

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Isn't TX the only state that doesn't have expiration stickers on the plate????????

Needless to say, I tend to, as most cops around here, run them a lot.............

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No stickers on our plates... I' not sure, but I don't think Jersey has stickers either.

Allan, I think they went to those plates right after I came back to NY plates. I think I had the old Blue and Gold PA plates. "You've got a friend..." Maybe I had those, I can't remember now.

17. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Yup, we have reg stickers on our plates here in Jersey. Just started a few years ago though. Makes it easier for the cops to pull you over and write a ticket. Always can be used for probable cause too. Happens all the time around here.

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I have my Texas Sesqucentenial plate hning in the garage...It says RICH on it

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Haha... My brother has the "Respect Life" plates on his Blazer that his wife drives now... I always like to make fun of him because he has pink license plates :D He now drives a Taurus SHO and has the good old fashioned green and white plates...

Wyoming's plates are actually pretty nice I must say. My only complaint (and the complaint of half the state) is they're flat plates with the number and design printed on, rather than the numbers being pressed into the metal to give it some texture. However, with the flat plates came more color and a much better looking design. I'll have to get some pics of what I'm talking about. As far as I know, Wyoming plates are all the same, the only options are for military stuff and such, where they put a little design in place of the first number which denotes the county your vehicle is registered in.

The style we have on our 76 Chevy is the one on the right (top row):
    [​IMG]

And this is the style we have now, voted #1 in the country in 2001:
    [​IMG]