Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

State Of Emergency!!! Right near ME!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by diesel4me, Oct 19, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

:eek1: The town of Taunton Mass ,3 miles away from me,is under a state of emergency,has been since monday !!--there is a 100 year old dam that is ready to pop any time..we got 8" of rain in 12 hours friday night into saturday,and it had rained 9 days straight the past week before--over a foot of rain in all! :eek1:-- many nearby towns had major flooding,and people lost a lot of property and stuff..like cars !!

Its a wooden dam,and if it fails,the downtown area of Taunton will be devastated,because the Taunton river flows right thru the town!--2000 people have been evacuated,school has been cancelled for the past 2 days,and 100 people are in a red cross shelter in the high school gym!

There are National Gaurd Trucks,an Airboat,several other boats,a tracked rescue vehicle,and 12 ambulances on standby--you may have seen pictures on the Weather Channel of the dam..I live a mile from the Taunton river,but I'm on high ground,that is not expected to have any problems,should the dam break(dam is 5 miles upstream from me)--at 2 am yesterday morning,a few beams broke,all day they have been watching--so far its still holding,but officials say its vibrating severely,and could collapse at any moment!..the whole town has been closed off to traffic and people..

Nothing like this has happenned since 1968 at the same dam!..I hope we don't get that "wilma" hurricane!--good thing we are not supposed to get any rain until saturday,but even then it could start all over again! :doah:

Never a dull moment around here... :surepal: :screwy:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

They were talking about it on FOX News today. Hope you're not down river of it.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They said this morning that it was still holding. That is scary. :eek1:

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Good luck man.

But think of it this way. If it goes, you got some great muddin just down the road from ya!!

jk

You and your mom are in my prayers. I wish yall the best of luck!

Dustin

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Who the heck would build a dam out of wood? :doah:
    It might be time to think about redoing dams in something real like rock.
    I hope your up stream too.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing has changed so far...

So far,the dam is still holding..the town remains evacuated,schools cancelled,and off limits to civillians..all they can do is wait..water level has dropped several inches,but is still overflowing the dam!

The dam was built in 1832 by the Whittenton Manufacturing Co. for a textile mill..it flodded in 1886 and 1968 according to state records..it is privately owned,and the property was recently sold a few months ago--it passed a state inspection and was given a "fair" rating,with repairs indicated in the near future..
    I read our state has 600 such privately owned dams,and several thousand state owned and maintained ones.(several in "poor" or High Risk" category condition! :eek1: ).I can't understand how a dam so threatening to the city and the public is allowed to exist,and be privately owned! :confused: --just shows how our public officials turn blind eyes to to big bussinesses with deep pockets.. :mad:

The mills have not use the pond created by the dam for at least 30 years..there is another earthen dam upstream that will likely fail if this one goes..the town will be pretty much wiped out if that happens..the water comes from several other town rivers, huge swamp,and Lake Sabattia,which is not a small one either!..since all the towns north and upstream of us also got a foot of rain,it all comes thru Taunton and out to the atlantic at Fall River MA..

I'm 5 miles downstream,and the Taunton river comes about 3/4 of a mile to my house at its closest point--but it is not expected to flood in my neighborhood,since we are about 90' higher elevation than Taunton is..some overflow is expected,but should not cause any damage--at least near my house..

If we get the heavy rain expected this weekend,and any remnants of "Wilma",we are really going to be in deep doo-doo--at least Taunton will be--I doubt that dam will take much more of this!... :eek1: :crazy:

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status