Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

State Shuts our JAIL Down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jeremy_C, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Here's the link to the website http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=23162

Thats my patrol car they are usin in the pictures. lol....Its famous now.

Anybody that lives in the south, and watches the news has heard SCOTT COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPT quite a bit here recently. I know a few of you remember back in november of 2003 I posted about a officer involved shooting that I was involved in. Come to find out, it was a tragic mistake, The deputy's partner had accidently shot him as he came in to assist the other officer.

http://www.wbir.com/news/search_article.aspx?storyid=15581 -- link to the original incident.

A Year later, November of 2004 Deputy Yanceys Wife sues the county, alleging it was murder. Read the news link here, http://www.wbir.com/news/search_article.aspx?storyid=21225

The sheriffs dept website is www.scottcosheriff.com you can see pictures of the jail on that site too.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you think they might build a new jail ??

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Oh yea defitnaly, They'll have too. This jail has been out of date for 10 years, and in that 10 years they could have perfected the plans for a new jail, but instead they tried to spend thousands of dollars to make it up to date. It is so bad, there is NO way to make this jail up to date. It was built back in the early 1900's and was probably out of date then. lol.

So now, when we arrest somebody we have to take them to a different county that has room for them. Its just a big mess.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I was in the jail in Council Bluff's, Ia back in the mid 80's. It was out of date and way over crouded. Had cots in the day room. I hear they finally built a new jail a few years ago, but didn't think ahead. It's already over crouded from what I hear. Just makes more sence to me too spen alittle more now to build a jail with more beds then you need, then too have too spend alot more later too expand. But that must suck having too house inmates at other countys. Not only do you have too take them there at the time of arrest, but each time they have court it's another 2 way trip.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So, do you think the widow has a leg to stand on?

Rene

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] That's a cool looking old building. Looks like there just might be some history in it. Be a shame too have too be torn down.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

could be something by why wate a year?

how whould she have found out abour some plot against her husband?

edit, yeah them walls look mighty thick, could they not gut it and redue the interer?

tey sure dont make them like that no more

8. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

As far as the Jail goes, its a Historical Landmark so it cant be tore down. A rumor I've always heard is that Jesse James his Brother "frank?? were housed in that jail at one time. That could be true since Frank did operate a store not far from where the jail stands now. But who knows.

I'm not sure exactly when it happend, i'm sure back in the 20's or 30's the sheriff then, walked outside the jail and was shot and killed by an unknown gunman. That case was never solved.

Back in the 80's the sheriff was convicted of assisting Drug runners land at the airport, and running block for them. I've never really heard a un-biased story about that, ever deputie that knows something about it tells a different story.

As far as the lawsuit goes, No. She doesn't really have a leg to stand on. I guess you'd really just have to live here, or be a deputy here to really appreciate how certain things work. Its not like you see on TV, when you go raid a suspected meth lab, there isn't weeks of planning. The drug agents usually just grab another car, and off they go. Sometimes the other patrol officers dont know whats going on till they are done.

Alot of backwoods tactics are used that are not safe, but on the same accord, we cant treat people like they do in big cities. Its mainly about politics in small counties, You do your job, but with the least amount of flack you can cause. The more flack you cause, the more votes the sheriff loses.

Anyways, got off topic.......As far as the lawsuit goes, there is really not evidence supporting the fact that Marty planned to kill him. I was the very first car to get there when he started yelling for help, I got there about 5 minutes after John John had been shot. I can honestly say, there is no doubt in my mind it was an accident.

What the lawyer is doing, is trying to distort some of the officers bad tactics into specific events that led up to the shooting. I'm not going to get into specifics, But the way it was layed out in the trailer, there is absolutley NO way that could have happened on purpose.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of evidence the sheriffs dept has disputing the lawsuits, but our Chief Investigator swears up and down that he is itching to get into court and fight this bad publicity.

I feel so sorry for John Johns wife, and I know some Ambulance chasing lawyer has talked her into this lawsuit. I'm sure if my wife was in her shoe's she would sue too, but for something like wrong full death. Its just a bad situation that nobody ever wants to go through.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I guess something like that is gonna suck no matter what. I feel sorry for her too...

Nice car BTW...:D

Rene

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That is the one thing that I really hate.

Seems like a majority of the people don't have a lick of common sense and they feel the need to keep their head so far up everyone elses' asses then make up crap rumors that have absolutely no basis.

We just had an election cycle and some of the rumors I heard was downright laughable and some of them were even about me, and few people know me.

Maybe someday we'll see a much needed change and see the office of sheriff become an appointed position. It's not bad in the huge agencies, but it our small agencies, sometimes I feel we are beholden to certain people just a little too much to where it affects the job we do.

11. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How experienced was the reporter? The story according to "Mike"?

Quote: "I mean you can tell from looking on the outside of it it's an old building, but on the inside it's not bad," Mike says. Unquote!

12. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Yea its bad inside. In the officers room, pieces of the ceiling kept falling. In dispatch, a chunk of ceiling fell and landed in a empty dispatch chair(she was in the bathroom)

When it rained hard, there were buckets ever where because of the leaks. There is one elevator, hardly big ebough to fit 3 grown men in it and it would have been shut down next year, because it doesn't meet the state requirements. Its gotta be big enough for a stretcher.

All of the cells are the big iron bars, the doors take the same over sized keys they did when the jail was first built.

I reckon the fire marshall came in the first time and almost had a fit, said he would be back in a few days with some help. When he came back he had the main fire marshall with'em and another guy. They shut us down that nite.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. That place looks pretty cool (like a castle). By the time I'm a grandfather, I bet there isn't a building anywhere in this country that looks like that.