Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

State to state inspection

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stockk5, Jan 11, 2007.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My friend is about to register a truck he bought in another state, he is pretty worried that it wont pass because someone changed the engine out at some point and the mileage doesnt match up, and the vins from the number to the frame dont match, i told him not to worry, but he was reading up on it adn came up w/ those problems. The book is saying u have to have all the reciepts and paper work from where u got the parts from and that jazz. Have any of you registered a truck from another state in ur state? Any big problem with outta state truck having to go through inspection to get registered? I say he wont have to worry, but not sure. How's it been for you guys?

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Affadavit of Fact that it was purchased in that condition perhaps?

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Mike no worries at all. For CT registration, its simple. when he goes to register it, he'll need to get temp plates first (for vin inspection and possibly emissons if its newer then 83)

When you go for vin inspection they ONLY check the vin on the dash.

As for mileage, write down what the odometer says...IF they wonder why its differant, it must have rolled over;) But ct isnt bad about that stuff. he shouldnt have a problem...

Btw ct doesnt do inspections for most vehicles.

Ct only does inspections for vechicle over 10,000lbs and grey market vechicles (imports)

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

When I went to PA plates a few years ago, they came out and checked the vin on the dash and the mileage before giving me a plate, but nothing else. When I came back to NY, I didn't need it inspected, I just brought the out-of-state title to the DMV and it was changed to NY.
    I don't know how CT is, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that they'd make you get the engine matched up to the truck unless it's 1996 or newer and the OBD II has funky data.
    My K5 had some emissions trouble on the dyno one year, and the guy doing the inspection (friend of mine) told the computer that I had a 454 in it. K5's didn't come with a 454, and it was fine with NY to think I had a big block in the truck.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

as long as the ride looks good and safe it will prob fly threw no problems.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

in Michigan they don't care.the state figures you can explain the 3 different numbers.:haha: my cab is from Texas and i left the same vin in it.i have never been pulled over though.:laugh: