Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

static with radio?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 4wood, Aug 7, 2004.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Last year I noticed that I was getting a lot of static from my speakers whenever I was listening to my radio or cds. I figured it was teh factor speakers in the dash gone bad, so I replaced them with brand new speakers. This worked great until my roll in Alabama when my radio quit working. I have finally fixed my radio so that it plays my phat jams again and when I play cds, it sounds good but when I play the radio it's a different story. It sounds staticy (which leads me to beleive it's my antenna or something) and the bass makes a very nasty sound...like the radio's turned up too loud. Is it possible that I've blown the speakers? Could it be interferance from my CB power? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

in my Jimmy I have 1 kenwood 4-way speaker in each door, rated at max. 200 watts, my cdplayer headunit only puts out 50 watts, and when I have it turned up to 40 (50 is as loud as it goes) my speakers sound like crap. I don't know what it is, and I don't think I blew them. It may be that I have the bass turned up to much. i don't know /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the static when listening to the radio could be a bad channel connection, or a bad ateenna

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I would guess that the tuner has something wrong with it since the cd's play fine. The only way that a cb could interfere with a am/fm radio is if you were transmitting at the time, otherwise it won't cause any interference. Usually you need to use an amp with a cb to cause interference anyway. Is your am/fm antenna in the windshield?

Steve,

[ QUOTE ]
    and when I have it turned up to 40 (50 is as loud as it goes) my speakers sound like crap. I don't know what it is

[/ QUOTE ]

The "crappy noise" you hear is distortion, if you continue to listen to it like that it will ruin your speakers. The way a speaker makes sound is by moving in and out. The frquency of these in/out movements determine what sound you will hear. What happens is the radio will start the cycle by moving the speaker cone outward, but it doesn't have enough power to make it stop instaneously and begin moving inward, the result is distortion.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What happens is the radio will start the cycle by moving the speaker cone outward, but it doesn't have enough power to make it stop instaneously and begin moving inward, the result is distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually if you look at the audio signal on an oscilloscope it looks like a bunch of sine waves mixed together, basically a steady rise and fall in the voltage depending on the frequency. What happens when there isn't enough power to drive the speaker is that these signals get chopped off at the top due to amplifier limits, this is known as clipping. Basically it's a large dc voltage sent to the speaker which is very harmfull to speakers. Most speakers are destryed because of weak amplifiers, not overdriving the speaker.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ugly, so if I had an amp, and used that, would it sound better?

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ugly, so if I had an amp, and used that, would it sound better?

[/ QUOTE ] Anytime you use a quality amp, and quality speakers, it'll sound better.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, I guess I better put that higher up on the list for the Jimmy.

8. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Yeah...when taking my sisters to school this am, I was playing a cd and started to get that fuzzy noise and the not-so-good-sounding 'Thud' for the bass. After reading the replies, it sounds like it's the distortion caused by turning the speakers up too loud (which is easy since I was riding windows down and no carpet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). So I suppose that answers my 'fuzzy noise' question but the static radio is persistant. My antenna is in the windshield. When you say 'a bad tuner' do you mean that, though the display reads 102.3 FM, it's not really what the radio is tuned to?

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Is that static a consistent noise or does it get louder as you go faster? The static could be picked up from the alternator. How's the grounding on the head unit? Have you checked the cable that goes from the antenna to the radio? When you rolled did the windshield bust and it got replaced, then the antenna didn't get hooked up correctly?

10. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that static a consistent noise or does it get louder as you go faster? The static could be picked up from the alternator.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope, it just becomes more audible as I turn up the radio. Which leads me to think it's just the clipping like one of the above posts says. However, I only have the radio turned up to around half of the max volume...dunno if that matters?

[ QUOTE ]
    How's the grounding on the head unit?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Errr...what's a head unit?

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you checked the cable that goes from the antenna to the radio?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've checked to see that is all the way plugged into the back of the radio, yes.

[ QUOTE ]
    When you rolled did the windshield bust and it got replaced, then the antenna didn't get hooked up correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope, the winshield is still factory.