Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STC soft tops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NC K5er, Jun 12, 2005.

1. NC K5er

NC K5er Registered Member

I'm looking to buy a STC soft top for my '90 blazer, but I can't decide between the fasttrack and the snaps.
    Though the snap one looks better (I think), i'm afraid the snaps might break eventually.
    Would appreciate any feedback

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

IMO they look better without the snaps, but everyone has their idea of what looks better. I guess it's poss that the snaps could break here and there, but I would think they could be changed easy enough.

My 15+ year old soft top had the turn-key style "snaps" and I never had any problems with them. But, they are much different. I just got it back last night, and will be using it with snaps to mount to a cut-down hardtop ... so like snaps or not, I have to use 'em.

[hypnotic voice] go with the fast track .. go with the fast track [/hypnotic voice]

:D I guess it depends on how hard it is to replace the snaps...

3. cooper1010

cooper1010 Registered Member

snaps. the windows look better rolled up then removed (imo). where you getting it from? i plan on pulling the trigger on one soon but would rather have it sooner than later (the faster it gets here, the less likely the wife will see the cc bill and put the kibosh on it).

4. NC K5er

check http://www.thejeep.com/stc/ and click the blazer link.
    they've got the former Kayline soft tops
    It 'll take them 4 weeks to deliver.
    thanx for the advice

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got two with the STC fas-trac and really like 'em both! Alot quicker and easier than snaps!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  6. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I'm the same way, I want the fasttrack because of the ease and the no snap look, but I prefer the overal look of the snap top (the layout of the windows and such.) What I really wish is that Can-bac was still making their tops and they were less than a grand!! My only concern is that my hard top doesn't leak one bit and I don't want to lose my "watertightness". I've heard some people say that they had issues with leaks, especially when parked for a while in a heavy downpour. In Louisian,a this is a big concern!

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I got mine back yesterday. I had it on my old 84 K5, when I bought it back in 90. I don't know how old it is, cause it was already on there when I got it, plus it came with a hardtop as well. I gave it a way a few years ago, and now that I have anotehr K5, my wifes cousin gave it back. It was nasty.. looked, and smelled like a wet dirty dog. So, after a trip to the car wash, and some more cleaning at home, it fianlly looks nice again. Granted, it's not as nice a the softtops they sell today.. but I could not beat the cost ;) and I'm only interested in using it when it's going to rain, and I have the top off.

Never mind how it looks in the pic, I sprayed it down with some black magic, and it looks a little funky since it being supported by a couple of saw horses.. but you get and idea. It will work for me. :cool1:

[​IMG]

8. n8sjh MI

n8sjh MI Registered Member

I was going to start a new thread but this is about the same as I was going to say. I want to get a soft top as well but am concerned about the water leaking How well do the soft tops seal? Also anyone use a soft top year round in a cold winter climate?

9. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Soft Top

I ordered a new STC Fast Track from "The Jeep" & am expecting it next week... They had the best price, quite a bit better than the CK5 member discount offered on this website... The only delay is STC not making tops for inventory & having to wait 3 to 4 weeks...

I will never have my hardtop on again...

Supergas :D

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My Fast Trac leaks under extremely hard rain, but under normal rain it's sealed pretty tight. I use my hard top in the winter.

[​IMG]

11. NC K5er

I am going to order one from the jeep.com this afternoon too

12. NC K5er

Dude, your fast trac looks awsome !
    Is it the STC one without corner windows ?
    I'm planning on calling those guys and ordering one this afternoon
    Do you know what reference # yours is by any chance ?

13. cooper1010

cooper1010 Registered Member

that fast trac does look pretty good, i may have changed my mind. i can't wait 3 to 4 weeks, i need my stuff NOWNOWNOW!

14. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It's the Fastrac without the corner windows, not sure what ref # it is, I bought it from this site. It's an excellent top.

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Here is a couple more pics from about 2 years ago when I bought the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. johnym

johnym Registered Member

I have the cab curtin top. no serious leaks. the fast-trac is the way to go no snaps on the body when the hard top is on. As for cold weather I ran with my soft top until january last winter, in mass.