Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STC tops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, Sep 19, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I have been tossing around the idea of buying a soft top and have been curious about the Fastback top from STC. Do any of you guys have one and are you satisfied with it's build quality. How would you rate it/ Pros and cons. What about the Tonneau?

I would like the Can-back but the price is starting to scare me away.

2. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

They have little issues. Mine has several leaks, mainly caused by my dad installing it while I was gone and some problems from the manufacturer. The front seal pieces arent long enough and leave a small gap on the sides which causes water to leak in while driving or when a tropical storm (screw you Ernesto) knocks on your door. I am sure I can have new ones sent to me but I havent been thinking about it when it it would be a good time to call. Also you have to reach in to knock the rear supports loose (not a problem if you arent a midget with a lifted K5) to drop the tailgate. Not really a big deal as it only takes a minute.

I am pretty happy with it. After taking the sides/rear off a few times you can get it down to less than 10 minutes from start to driving off. It really seems quieter than stock somehow and it looks really good. I have the black demin one with tint.

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my fastrack is on order and hopefully be here next month!

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Which model top do you have, Snap or fast back. He says that the superior top is the fastback because you can remove and replace the windows. Do you worry about theft? All my boxes are lockable and my spare is cabled in and the stereo has a detachable face. I may get the Grant steering wheel removal kit. When you say you need to reach in to remove the back support, what do you mean? Do you have any pictures? Thanks again. This is one of the reasons I love this site.

5. Col_Sanders

I dont so much worry about theft. Most of the people around here who steal vehicles are looking for the stupid Escalades with 26" wheels or the little Civics with fart cans and flashy paint. I also have a make shift kill switch. I plan on getting the Tuffy console and making some rear panels with extra storage and locks.

As for the rear supports, you can make them out in this pic. They are the bars going from the middle of the bed to the top rear of the top. They have a collapsing fold over brace (dont know the real term) that you have to push on and it will cause the support to collapse forward and take the pressure off the top. Then you pull the rear down a little to get it off the tracks and you got it. Only takes a couple minutes.

[​IMG]

6. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

got any more pics :D

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Purdy pic!!! :D :D

8. Col_Sanders

Same day at Corolla Beach:

[​IMG]

The wife is proud of the truck too:

[​IMG]

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Who are you guys getting your tops from? How long did it take?

10. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

sweet rig!

11. Col_Sanders

I bought mine from ORD. I think it took about 6-8 weeks.

Thanks for the compliments, EVERY spare penny goes to it. Its changed a lot in the past 16 months!!

12. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Great pictures and info! Do the support bars "disappear" ( or fold down below the side of the bed) when you go convertible? With the back window in does the top "tighten up" across the bows(any pics)? BTW, your color is great. I painted mine myself (and it shows, but not bad for a offroader)) Pacific blue, alternate 1 (that is what NAPA said was a factory color). The alternate makes it a little darker than the blue you usually see on an 80 Blazer. My top is white now, though I don't know what color it came from the factory with. I like the white hard top but I don't like the looks of the white STC fasttrac top and was thinking of going with the black. That would match my interior. What do you think?

13. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Nice rig..

[​IMG]