Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steam clean my k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shh...I'm hiding, May 8, 2005.

1. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

I have an 87 k5 that runs strong (for a stock truck) but i have a few leaks that I cant track down due to all the nasty icky stuff all over everything. My boss owns a steam cleaning outfit here in Thermop that we do nights and weekends (we're electricians most of the time) and what we would charge $130 an hour fo, I can do it for the cost of fuel. So my question is, Is this a bad idea? Any ideas on what to watch out for or dont do it because, would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.
    Billy

2. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I've steamed cleaned my blazer many times and it works great. I'm sure it's not good for something but oh well :D . I just try and stay away from spraying directly on u-joints, and watch what I'm doing while in the engine compartment so not to spray down into the carb or distributor. If there's alot of gunk on there shoot it lightly with a degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes then use the steam cleaner--it'll look like new.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've always been able to get it sparkling clean just buying three or four cans of degreaser, going to the local spray wash, cake on the degreaser, wait 10 minutes, spray off. Always looks brand new after that job.