Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steam/coolant inside my K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jan 30, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I live in Alaska so it's normal for my windows to steam up, but I just went out to the blazer and there is coolant dripping out of a black box below the glovebox on the passengers side, all over the floor, it's even dripping out of the heater vents in the middle at the floor, anyone any ideas? I need the K5 for work.!

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the heater core has developed a leak. Check the connection at the fire wall and see if they are leaking. More than likely though, you'll have to pull the heater core and have it fixed. You can bypass the core by taking the hoses and either plugging them or hook them together. Doing this gives you no heat but also no puddles on the inside.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You're heater core is toast! Quick fix is routing your heater hose from your intake manifold into your radiator. You bypass the heater core altogether. The only prob is..... NO HEAT. I think the hoses are different sizes but you can make it work for now. Good luck

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Where is, or how do I get at the heater core? is it that black box below the glovebox?

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

replacing the heater core is no quick fix, but rerouting the hoses is simple. There are two hoses coming out of the firewall on the passenger side. 1 is 3/4 and the other is 5/8 (i think) anyhow, follow them, 1 goes the radiator, the other to the intake manifold. Take one or the other and remove it completely. Take one end of the still connected hose and connect it where you removed the other. You've just made a loop.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

jimmyjack you are right if you do not want heat but he is in alaska in the middle of winter so i am sure he would like heat lol
    you do have a bad heater core they are easy to fix just a pain sometimes lol you can get one at the local parts store usualy

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Yes, but how do I access it? from below the glovebox? is removing the dash or anything necessary?

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Mudhog, I'm in Tucson and I'd like heat!!!! Yeh its a fixer so it doesnt leak like hell everywhere. As far as replacing the heater core, you kind of need to just tear into it, I did and it wasn't too bad. But if you were to tell me how to do it step by step you'd have lost me at the second sentence. Dunno how well the manuals explaijn it. Hey what part of Alaska? I have some old friends from colij in Palmer.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I've never done one so I could be wrong here but I believe its that big black box on the fire wall next to the fan (in the engine compartment). I think you can unbolt it and pull it and put on a new one, you may have to do some sealing. They run about $40 for a new ones.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If there doesn't seem to be much of a leak, try running a bottle of Bars Leaks through the system - Did this to the wife's Cherokee a year ago and it hasn't leaked yet. (if you're reading this I'll get on it tomorrow Dear)

11. mudhog

jimmyjack i meant nothing bad towards you!!
    bking you need to pull the black box under the dash like six bolt or nuts and like 4 on the outside firewall and then just pull it out it can be a small pain in the a$$ but not to bad then there are 2 screws that hold it inside the black box well there are 4 two on top and two on bottom but you only need to take the top two out then slide the old out and put the new one in then revers the procedure if you need more help just ask

12. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I just did it on my 78'. First get your parts. Radiator fluid and hearter core. The heater core is held in by that big black box under the glove box. The BBB has, i think, 4 studs that go through the firewall and into the engine compartment. A couple of them are easy to get, and a couple are a pain. I know one of them is squeeqed between the topside of the front fender and the fire wall. You might be better off drilling that one out from the inside. After that you unbolt the hose clamps at the heater core and pull the whole BBB toward the back of the vehicle. Once you get this far you will have disconected alot of the switches that go up to the AC control panel so remember where they go. At this point you are home free. Put it back together and make sure you get all the adjustments set right for the switches. It took me about 2.5 hours at night with only a small AA maglight so it should not be too bad. Good luck.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

13. mudhog

oh and yes it is below the glove box aand no you do not need to take anypart of the dash apart

14. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine last year. Just follow what it says to do in the haines manual.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

this has been gone over about a dozen times on how to replace the heater core. do a search and you should finde a bunch of posts. last time was a bout a week ago. It's not hard and you don't need to drill anything out but it does require dropping the inner fender on the passenger side to get at one of the bolts. DO NOT TUG ON THE BOX UNDER THE HOOD. it has a bunch aof sealent around it and will stay in place when you remove the bolts to pull the core.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

16. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Guys, thanks for all this help. JIMMYJACK, I'm in Anchorage, moved here about 2 years ago from Ireland, hence the, ahem, lack of Chevy experience. Had an S10, got my K5 at the start of December.
    Anyway, I'm going to attack the heater core today, got one last night at Schucks for $25.99 (That's ordering it online, If I'd have bought it over the counter it would've been $39.99)
    One thing though, after I install the new core, do I need to drain the system or anything to get rid of air etc?

17. mudhog

no need to drain your system just add coolant to the radiator

18. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Hey MudHog, no sweat, I know what you meant. I was saying I want heat here, I can imagine what its like there! Just trying to get him rolling at least.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

19. mudhog

hey no problem jimmyjack it is just with all the fighting and bickering lately i was just trying not to offend anyone lol