Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Bellhousing For a Truck Tranny?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a steel bell housing that actually fits the Chevy truck transmission. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Ditto that. I'd like to find an SFI approved bellhousing that could be drilled for an NV4500.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm not aware of one that has either the spigot hole size or the bolt pattern(s) for truck transmissions. That isn't too big a deal though. Any competent machine shop should be able to bore the spigot hole to the correct truck size. Best bet there would be to bring a truck b/h for them to measure.

Typically the mfg's tag some small tabs on the inside to add thickness where the trans mount bolts thread in.

The one issue I see is with those trans' that have the lower two bolts that come thru from the clutch side & thread into the trans case. Since scattershields are full circle, access to those bolts might be a bit of a pain.

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I've always wondered if you could machine a SM465 bellhousing to fit a NV4500.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can try Lakewood you would probably have to contact there specialty department

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I called Lakewood about four months ago about this, and I got a reply back that they dont make one. Maybe they could custom fab one, but I bet it would cost some $$$$$

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

May as well just buy one and modify it. Once in a while you can find one used. I'd take on the project if you were closer. It's really not that big of a deal, but you do need some specialized tools (mill w/ boring head).