Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Bellhousing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Has anyone found a steel bellhousing that will work with the SM465? I need part numbers and where you got it.

I purchased a steel bell housing from Summit, but the big center hole that fits over the front bearing retainer does not fit over the SM465's bearing retainer.
    Great customer service on the return by the way. It was months later and I no longer had the box it came in. I got someone on the phone right away and had no problem sending it back.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't think they've been made since the 60s or early 70s.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cast Iron maybe...

GM did use cast iron bell housings in older models..I'm guessing they went to aluminum bell housings in the mid 70's somewhere...only stell bell housings I've seen factory were on big trucks,like C-60's and busses,that used other big trannys like Clarks and Spicer,etc..probably wont work on smaller trucks..

You could have had the center hole bored out in the blowsheild to allow an SM465 to fit...why they dont see a potential market for steel bellhousings with the hole sized for an SM465 is a mystery..you'd think if several people wanted one,they'ed make one!..would be no big deal for them to bore the center hole bigger while on the production line...:confused:

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

so it seems that i have 2 cast bellhousings lying around the dis to these is that you have to run the stater for early 70s truck so it bolts to the bell

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if i get this correct you got a aftermarket scatter shield style bell. if the center is to small just machine it out for a few bucks. bam done and solved.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Having done this for a friend it trakes more than a couple bucks of machine shop time. In addition to boring the pilot hole (helps to have a stocker around for size reference) you also need to put in new trans mounting bolt holes. At least I did for the trans he used. The scattershield isn't thick enough to just thread & call it done. I first had to TIG some little hunks of 1/2" plate onto the inside where the holes would be, b4 drilling & tapping.

Still, it's not that big a project if you have the right tools to do the job and it is likely the simplest solution.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not really a problem..

The fact the starter bolts to the bellhousing instead of the motor CAN be a plus--like when the engine block has been damaged where the starter bolts up!..

I had a nice running 4 bolt main 350 given to me for FREE, because someone bottomed the truck it was in out on the starter,ripping one bolt hole casting right off the block!..didn't matter to me,as my 72 K5 had the cast bellhousing and a SM465!..:D ..plus it puts the starter higher up,more out of harms way..

I've heard some Gm 4 speeds had bolts that had to be installed from inside the bellhousing,because the tranny's "ears" had the threads..THAT could be a bummer,because the steel blowsheilds have no inspection cover!..you'd have to bolt the tranny to it,and install both as a unit..makes it more difficult..

:crazy: