Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Braided hose to -AN fitting HELP?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Mar 29, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ordered up a steel braided hose kit for the blazer that runs a -6 AN steel braided hose from the mechanical fuel pump up to the carb...
    So i take off the tape off the ends and carefully insert the end of the steel braided hose into the AN fitting.. it seems like it starts to go and then it won't. I remove it and find that it is all frayed. ARRRGGGHHH!
    So I tape it up again and try to cut it a little off the end with a hacksaw. This hacksaw makes it even worse! Tommorow i am going to buy a really fine hacksaw blade and try again since my more coarse hacksaw blade was making a mess of the hose..

I helped my buddy install these one time but it went together pretty easy for him.??? This is the first time i've tried to mess with inserting the braided steel lines into the AN fittings. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

MY Question... Anyone have some advice on doing steel braided lines... I called up my buddy and he said you could just leave a little of that tape like one layer to keep it from fraying when you put it into the AN fitting... I tried as carefully as i could to put the braided hose into the fitting but having a hell of a time!
    Anyone have some good advice as to how to cut it and then insert it into the AN fitting without fraying it too bad? Anyone with experience on doing this i'd appricate some of your knowledge. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Other guys have told me just to tape it with a couple layers of masking tape and then cut it with a hacksaw... but my hacksaw was making more of a mess of it... like i said i need to find a really coarse blade i think.
    But how in the heck do you get the line fed into the AN fitting without it coming unraveled and frayed? Do you leave the tape on there?

Thanks in advance.

2. blender

blender Registered Member

I ran into the same problem when i tried the hacksaw method, the best way to get a smooth cut i found was to use a mitre saw with a metal cutting blade, be sure to tape it and clean it out , it left alot of cut rubber inside. another way that seemed to work is to tape it and hit it with a sharp chisel but you have to hit it hard to make a clean cut . also put a few drops of oil in the hose when your putting it together that seems to help. good luck.

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

Forget the hacksaw, it's much easier to use a cutoff wheel, even a dremel works great with an abrasive cutter. Also be careful when you remove the tape to not pull any of the braid up. The installation instructions for Earl's fittings are available at www.holley.com

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Even easier than cutting it, you tape off the area you want it cut at, take a sharp chisle and hit the chisle with a hammer. It breaks it real clean and doesnt fray it. It make take a couple of time it get it though the line but it works great and takes alot less time. Also spay wd-40 in the end and twist it in after you get it started.

Dan

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got it now! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I took it to work and we had some shears like cable cutters that were brand new. Cut em pretty easy. (After a couple cuts they were getting dull/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif)

I found the easiest way was to start it, twist it as far as it would go on... then clamp the hose in the vise and tap the AN fitting onto the end of the hose with a mallet. Just tapp it in. Tapitty tap. And twist it on.

Thanks for the help again!