Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel building for a garage????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKSRULE, Nov 4, 2002.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Well my wife has gave the OK to build my dream garage. She is getting a pool put in so now I have $30K to spend on a garage to make up for what she is spending on the pool. I am thinking that I would go with a steel building in the range of 40X60 or so. I am thinking if I go with a steel building rather than frame constructio9n it will be cheaper and I can spend the rest on things like a lift and other toys. Problem is the "garage" needs to blend in with the house. Wife doesn't want our property to start looking like an industrial center. Anyone have pictures of some steel buildings on their land? Cost? Where did you get it? Anything else you can tell me would be great.

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

What kind of area do you live in? Is it a tract home? How big is the property?

I would suggest that you look into a barn style RV garage. They are made of wood but will fit with your house much better and there are kits out there for the same price as a steel building.... $12k to $15k... You need a slab either way. An RV style garage will have a big roll up door so your lifted rig won't have a problem getting in and out. Also you can insulate and drywall the building to keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. And it will look more like a residential building rather than an industrial one.

A steel building will look like a steel building no matter what you do. And insulation is out of the question. I'm on the west coast so I can't recommend anyone to you but I'm sure that if you run a search you will find the kits I'm talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I live on a street with all custom homes. Each lot is 3.5-4 acers. The biggest issue is that the garage blend in with the house.

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Steel buildings are a good option. Check with some companies like Butler Mfg. (butlermfg.com) and CECO Buildings (cecobuildings.com) for some of their products. I have installed some buildings with the appearance of a custom from the ground up building. These may also be constructed to resemble any style you would want. Be sure and ask about the insulation. Some manufacturers don't include this with the price. If the building is rather short you could probably install it with just a few buddies to help with manuevering and bolting pieces in.

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rockford Steel Buildings (rockfordsteel.com) is another good company. I used to work for the local distributor for this system. They have pictures of some you would swear are frame built.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'm just finishing up a 32'x48'x10' pole barn. Has two 10'x9' overhead doors, shingled roof with ridge vent, light stone colored steel with wood colored shingles. I have about $7,000 into the package, including extras like double base boards(rat wall). Matches the house fairly well, I'm using 8' side steel on the 48' sides and 1-2' of fiberglass panels along the top to let light in. Concrete will run about $1500 for a 4" slab with the fiberglass reinforcement.

Insulation is not an issue with a pole barn. Lots are insulated up here in Michigan. One of the better styles I seen was spray on insulation with a steel roof, no shingles to replace and no noise due to the insulation sprayed right to the steel.

A co-worker is building a 40'x60', his will be vinyl sided. Turns out it only cost $3-400 more than the steel siding, and the whole barn is covered in OSB. If I'd known that I would have looked into the vinyl siding myself.

7. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Dan, do you have a picture? Also where did you get the kit?

8. Diesel Dan

I'll look for a pic, I know I have a couple. I have 90% of the steel on, only have the one gabel end too do with the double overhead doors, need to install doors first. It is taking me a little while since it's the first I've done and my main helper is my dad(65yrs old).

Forgot to add, $400 in sand and $17/pole to set x 22 poles=$374. It was worth the money to have the poles set, a builder brought out his crew of 6 with an auger on a JD tractor and were gone in 2hrs.

About pics, where do I send them online now? I used too use photopoint until they went to a pay site. Don't do enough online photos to justify a pay account.

9. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What company did you go through for the barn? I hope to be doing mine next summer. Just bought 10 acres. Time for a 'real' garage.

Auburn... near Bay City, Midland?

Ken H.

11. Diesel Dan

Sorry Ken,
    Didn't see your question until today.
    I bought my kit thru Central Michigan Lumber(CML), they are owned by Wolohan lumber.
    Here is a pic of the barn, hope it turns
    http://hometown.aol.com/dsplus4/myhomepage/auto.html
    Barn is at the bottom of the page, still trying to figure out how to post pics on the page.

12. Diesel Dan

13. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

This isnt the best picture, but here is a picture from me standing on our back porch. You can kind of see how we had the porch roof extended and built into the side of the garage, which is a 24x40 steel building.

In this picture you can see the garage and house connected, forming a "breezeway" in between.

Another picture of the garage.

We had the garage built in 1995, and it cost almost $25,000. One reason it was so expensive was due to the addition of the breezeway.

It all looked clean and fitting (not industrial at all), up until I kept bringing in trucks to work on and laying parts on the driveway.