Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Horse Light Bar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Mar 4, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone install a Steel Horse Light Bar on their K5? I'm looking for info on how to run the wire for the lights. I'm not really sure which way to go with it....drill a hole or try to run in between the cab and half top. Let me know what you think.

2. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Major pain in the *ss!!! I have a TrailBlazer light bar and ran into the same problem.... The wires measure a 1/2 dia. and it would not fit in between the shell and the cab water still leaked in even after a new seal. Next I tried running it down through the door and the body.... leaked to the point that my seat is soaked... So I contacked TailBazer and asked them what they recomend and it came backk to drilling a hole through the roof and sealicone the wires to make it water tight.... Good luck....

<font color=red>C<font color=green>'<font color=blue>m<font color=orange>o<font color=purple>e

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I ran a CARR lightbar on my Blazer for about 2 years. I ran all the wires between the top and the cab. I never had any problems with mine leaking. I had 4 lights across the top, the outside two were wired together, and the inside two. I had all these and the coax for my CB antanees and never got it to leak.

Kyle
    89K5

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Haven't tried this yet but plan to. Same principle as an electrical weatherhood on a house. I figured I'd get a J-shaped piece of electrical conduit with a big enough dia to fit all the roof light wires and mount it in the roof behind the light bar. I am thinking of the type that has a plastic nut on the base that could screw on from the inside of the roof and pinch a gasket against the roof to ensure a tight seal. To keep water out of the conduit itself, I would use some silicone or something once the wires are in place.

What do you think?

The nice thing about htis is it's an easy repair if I want the light bar gone after. Just get a patch welded in and a small paint job.

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!