Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel Horses for frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Oct 4, 2004.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I finished this one frame stand getting ready for my 14bff axle swap and 3/4 ton front axle swap into my k-10. I need to make one more but I ran out of C-channel. Anyway it is all 1/4 wall stuff.

[image][​IMG][/image]

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

so how is it going to work?? Wont the axle just roll off if the ground is not level if you have it up on the top??
    Looks good though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If that is going to hold up the truck I'd be a little leery of it. I'd gusset the channel legs and run a big diagonal brace at the very least.

If that is gonna be holding a diff up that high I'd still be nervous.

Rene

4. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

There are going to be two of them. One in the front supporting the frame rails and one in the rear supporting the frame rails. The diff is not going to be the height of horse. The diff. will only be like 6 or 8 inches off the ground total. The truck I am supporting is stripped, no motor, trans or case or bed. How is it going to roll off when both front and rear are supported by the frame ??? Yes I will gusset them when I get more steel. Safer than the high-lift stupidity and the crapo jackstands and wood I have seen. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No need to get defensive. I'm only concerned for your safety. Even a stipped truck is gonna be putting 1500+ lbs on each stand. I'd rather see more of an 'A' frame style myself.

Good luck with it.

Rene

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

so you are going to set the truck up on those front and rear?? if you do this make sure to run some steel from the top to the bottom horizontal legs to prevent the whole thing from flopping over. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif