Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steel or Alloy??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigoltrux77, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

Alright im wanting to buy some 38.5x15.50-16 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips, there arent many posts about (prolly bc of the price) but i hear they are bad ass tires. Well the tire itself weighs 102lbs. My question is should i get a set of 16x12 Steelies (not as cheap as i thought) which are prolly like 50-60 pounds or get some 16x12 MT Classics which are alloy and prolly half the weight? I mean im not a big fan of black crawlers for some reason. But the price difference isnt too far off. Like 30 bucks. What would yall choose. Keep in mind that this thing is for mud, swamps, and occasional street driving (not much though). No rockcrawling in Louisiana from what ive seen.

2. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

I was shopping for rims recently and went alloy b cuz they were about the same price and weigh much less. The rockcrawlers I wanted were a lot more than the alloy wheels, maybe cause I went with 16x8 Eagle alloys...I like steelies but the alloys were a much better deal...follow your heart dude.:rolleyes:

3. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I have the PJ's and they ROCK!!!!!:saweet:

I haven't had them in any deep super wet mud just thick sticky field mud 6" - 18" deep. Let us know how the work in super goo.

Any way......

I went steel, for 14.5" wide tire I used a 10" rim. I had some
    Classic II's previously and they were good rims. My only concern would be with rocks (I had to replace one rim). If you are sure you won't be messing with rocks get less unsprung weight, especially if you like the look better.

4. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

I have had mine is super goo and they are so so. They aren't swampers but they are still good in the sticky stuff.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Go alloy my reasoning for this is I like shiny stuff :D:D

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sure, less unsprung weight is nice, but I like alloys because I don't like brown flaky rims and I live in Michigan.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but steel wheels are better at clearing bigger brakes.

7. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

so with 3/4ton drivetrain will i be ok with 16" alloys? Or do i need to go to 16.5 or 17? Im not sure on how to grind calipers the correct way.
    Anyone got PJs? How do you like em?

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

dont wast your mony on the mickys anymore. thay are jap made now. quality control sucks. i work with tires all day. and there centers suck worse . look for eagle aloys good nock offs and great bang for the buck. we sell tons of them. 3/4 ton will clear 16" or 15" with just a bit of grinding. but if you ever are going to do dana 60 in futer do the 16" now.

here is my 38.5x15.50x16.5 ground hawgs on 16.5x12 wide rims.

big truck 011.jpg